Discuss Air source heat pump heating issue in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok. Isolate again and remove the link you just put in. Then switch on.

Re#71 and the image of the ASHP control panel. There is a red light for the 'Programmer live'.

Could you observe and report its state (lit, not lit) when at the programmer you select HW constant and then select HW off at the programmer. I suspect the ASHP is in permanent HW priority mode irrespective of the state of the HW select button.

Ok. Isolate again and remove the link you just put in. Then switch on.

Re#71 and the image of the ASHP control panel. There is a red light for the 'Programmer live'.

Could you observe and report its state (lit, not lit) when at the programmer you select HW constant and then select HW off at the programmer. I suspect the ASHP is in permanent HW priority mode irrespective of the state of the HW select button.
The light is on when hw is on constant and on when hw is off

I think we are close to the problem. Once again isolate electricity and now remove the white wire from terminal 14 at the ASHP and put a connector on its end to make safe. Turn power back on and check if CH demand starts ASHP.

Ok. One last thing for now - maybe something else later.

Turn off electricity. Go to ASHP. Identify relays R2 and R3. Take a photo of where they are located.

Now see if they are plug-in relays. Perhaps try a more convenient relay first to see if when you gently pull it becomes unplugged.

TAke out R2 and take some photos of it including the pins, and observe the position of the contacts if you can see them; then give it a gentle tap to see if it is stuck and observe whether the contacts have moved. Replace the relay R2.

Then do same for R3.

Re-energise and check CH and ASHP starts.

Ok. One last thing for now - maybe something else later.

Turn off electricity. Go to ASHP. Identify relays R2 and R3. Take a photo of where they are located.

Now see if they are plug-in relays. Perhaps try a more convenient relay first to see if when you gently pull it becomes unplugged.

TAke out R2 and take some photos of it including the pins, and observe the position of the contacts if you can see them; then give it a gentle tap to see if it is stuck and observe whether the contacts have moved. Replace the relay R2.

Then do same for R3.

Re-energise and check CH and ASHP starts.

All done, nothing appeared to move with the relays, heat pump still not working with CH

Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_123657 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_123655 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_123650 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_123648 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_122359 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_122356 - EletriciansForums.net Air source heat pump heating issue 20191006_122353 - EletriciansForums.net

Ok, last for now as I go to think some more. I have been re-reading your posts and picked up in #1 you said (-sorry missed it before) you had disabled the defrost module - is it still disabled so that everything tried so far has been with it disabled?

Ok, last for now as I go to think some more. I have been re-reading your posts and picked up in #1 you said (-sorry missed it before) you had disabled the defrost module - is it still disabled so that everything tried so far has been with it disabled?
Correct, another thing I just noticed is that the heat pump turns on as soon as HW is selected on the programmer and not when the MV is opened

I recommend you take a break now. But before, how actually did you disable the DF module?

In #53 could you clarify please into which terminals the set of 3 white wires are connected which are to the right of the second earth terminal numbered 7.

Ah sorry I forgot, it's a bit of a mess (not my making!) I tried to take as many detailed pics as I could but some wires are short and a bit tangled

View attachment 52898 View attachment 52899 View attachment 52900 View attachment 52901 View attachment 52902
That shows VERY poor workmanship. I am currently in the home straight of recovery from diarrhea which is why your problem has been such a welcome distraction! It is such a mess - your wiring, I am minded to travel down to you and investigate with you rather than remotely. I me no insult to you, but I have probably gone beyond the limit of 'step-by-step- with you through the EF. So would you like me to visit once I am recovered? Chichester is where you live? I am not far from the Dartford Crossing. I have started so would like to finish. No insult to me if you want it fixed sooner by someone esle. Would you just pay my diesel there and back?

Remember to put the covers all back on again and reset knobs and dials and switches.

That shows VERY poor workmanship. I am currently in the home straight of recovery from diarrhea which is why your problem has been such a welcome distraction! It is such a mess - your wiring, I am minded to travel down to you and investigate with you rather than remotely. I me no insult to you, but I have probably gone beyond the limit of 'step-by-step- with you through the EF. So would you like me to visit once I am recovered? Chichester is where you live? I am not far from the Dartford Crossing. I have started so would like to finish. No insult to me if you want it fixed sooner by someone esle. Would you just pay my diesel there and back?

Remember to put the covers all back on again and reset knobs and dials and switches.

Yes I thought that when I took it off the first time! By all means, how much would you want? I live in bognor regis, about 7 miles east of Chichester

Studying the smart start controller for the ASHP compressor I have now discovered there is a 3 minutes delay after power up before the controller will respond to a start demand. What this means is that the test we undertook may well not have been conclusive because we should have waited for 3 minutes to elapse before observing whether the compressor is going to start or not.

There is also a delay of 3 minutes after the end of start demand. And a 5 minutes delay if after a start attempt the compressor does not start promptly.

Alas, this means I think the test will have to be repeated and allowing 3 minutes at least to elapse. Are you up for that? Obviously at your convenience. And in the order I presented them this morning.

Comfort yourself that we are probably making quicker progress on your problem than towards BREXIT.

:)

Regards

MArconi

Last edited:
Studying the smart start controller for the ASHP compressor I have now discovered there is a 3 minutes delay after power up before the compressor will respond to a start demand. What this means is that the test we undertook may well not have been conclusive because we should have waited for 3 minutes to elapse before observing whether the compressor is going to start or not.

There is also a delay of 3 minutes after the end of start demand. And a 5 minutes delay if after a start attempt the motor does not start promptly.

Alas, this means I think the test will have to be repeated and allowing 3 minutes at least to elapse. Are you up for that? Obviously at your convenience. And in the order I presented them this morning.

Comfort yourself that we are probably making quicker progress on your problem than towards BREXIT.

:)

Regards

MArconi
Of course, so perform the tests again but wait 3 mins?

Even if we hadn't started we would be closer to solving the problem than brexit...

Reply to Air source heat pump heating issue in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock