Discuss Air Vent Removal (Electrical wires removed or capped?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi folks,

First post here and needing some help if that's ok?

I'm looking to remove an electric air vent from our downstairs toilet. The previous owners stated they used to have a shower in there, but this was removed by them and we have no need for one.

We are looking to renovate it though and as it's a bit of an eye-sore and lets in a lot of draft, I wanted to remove it. The vent is still hooked up to the electrics, although it doesn't actually work.

Upon removal of the vent, the wires are embedded in the wall and run across the window. I don't really want to pull the wites out of the wall as this will be a messy job if I can avoid it.

So, my question, is there a way that I can remove the vent and cap the wires off somehow before filling in the hole after removing the vent's fascia? Would I need a qualified sparky to do this or this a pretty easy fix?

I've included some pictures to hopefully give you a better idea of what I mean.

Appreciate any help on this.

Air Vent Removal (Electrical wires removed or capped?) IMG_20181205_150922 - EletriciansForums.net Air Vent Removal (Electrical wires removed or capped?) IMG_20181205_151418 - EletriciansForums.net Air Vent Removal (Electrical wires removed or capped?) IMG_20181205_151501 - EletriciansForums.net

Probably easier to just fit a new extractor.

cost £12.00.

You cannot just cap off cables and leave them in wall. You will have to find the source and disconnect from there. It may be in a extractor isolator outside bathroom, or in a extractor pull cord or hard wired without means of isolation.
If it's the later it could be in the light switch, or the lamp, or in a junction box/wiring centre above cieling.

As I said probably easier to replace than remove.

Just looked at the photo again and it looks like you have an extractor isolator pull cord next to light switch pull cord.
Is it plastered in or buried in the wall? It looks that way.

The wiring - I assume - is buried in the wall. Runs over the window and then through the covering you can see into the extractor pull cord. Ideally, I'd like the whole thing to be removed, but again, trying to save a little on both the mess and the cost... but, then aren't we all. Interesting point about replacing it, might be best unless you think it can be removed?

Provided it can be safely isolated so that it can never become live ditch the supply and leave it in the wall. An electrician could do this in a short space of time.

Hi - I'd be upgrading the fan to one with built in draft excluder. Ventilation is good :) .

Definitely.
The term to look for when researching is a backdraught shutter. I live in a coastal location and try to persuade customers to go for fans with electronic backdraught shutters, the Airflow icon 15 is quite affordable and funky the way the shutters open and should be a straightfoward replacement

I don't think I've ever heard an extractor fan being called an electric air vent before! Will have to remember that. :)

Airflow icon. looks cool and has automatic shutters for the draft.

Reply to Air Vent Removal (Electrical wires removed or capped?) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock