Discuss airflow meters for extracor fans..building inspectors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all
has anyone had there building inspector ask them to supply a cert for air flow from there ex fans.
he tells me that its been a requirement since oct 2010..
any veiws on this?
ta vitoboy

hi all
has anyone had there building inspector ask them to supply a cert for air flow from there ex fans.
any veiws on this?
ta vitoboy

Its a new one to me, cant agree or disagree cos i dont know. Just show him the installation instructions that should give you the extraction rate in cubic metres per hour or whatever.

Cheers........Howard

hi all
any veiws on this?
ta vitoboy
It has been part of the regs since the last update. I don't think it's our job to provide a certification for it though, it's not part of BS7671 which is what we certify to. (Ducks head for the flack).

ive not quoted to supply any such airflow details..
but i know the builder and customer well.
ive just got the part f to have a look..66 pages.
but hey if you need an air flow meter from now on then ok but........if i never hear of this test being applyed again ill be .......:-(

It has been part of the regs since the last update. I don't think it's our job to provide a certification for it though, it's not part of BS7671 which is what we certify to. (Ducks head for the flack).

New one on me too.

Which Regs are you referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our mechanical department supply and fit the fans, sparks connect them and the mech guys tests the airflow.

yep its er part f of the building regs applying to work inside existing buildings.
as far as i can see the reg says a 15/s washrooms per bath/shower.
ive looked hard for the cert that he said is a download form the county council site..but cant find anything refering to a airflow test.
i wonder if he has a sideline in 15/s certs....

We supply a commissioning sheet to the customer or consultant for all forced ventilation systems we install. The commissioning paperwork has an electrical section for measured values such as on load voltages and run currents etc there's also an air movement section which is for the system static pressures, air velocities and volumes as well as noise figures which our HVACR staff fill out. Once in a blue moon the building inspector our health/fire department will ask for figures on a system and the commissioning paperwork has always sufficed up till now.

As mentioned it was introduced to part F in October last year (most most peeps versions of leccy's guide to the bld regs are out of date). I've not been asked by any BCO so far to test but it was picked up as part of my ELECSA review earlier in the year.

If it's just a problem of finding the right certificate I would just ask him to email you the appropriate one then there's less chance of getting the runaround.

i had a conversation with building control last year about this, they told me that refers to new builds only. so currently i have never informed them, and never been asked for one. but if i ever did a new build, i was told that i could just take the fan flow rate which is given in the manufacturs instructions. not sure if this is the approach of every building control dept but it is here.

ian

i had a conversation with building control last year about this, they told me that refers to new builds only. so currently i have never informed them, and never been asked for one. but if i ever did a new build, i was told that i could just take the fan flow rate which is given in the manufacturs instructions. not sure if this is the approach of every building control dept but it is here.

ian
That's interesting, I was told that it applied to extensions as well. :D

The extract below was sent to me from the TSI Airflow rep earlier this year, keeping in mind he was selling aneometers he did seem to know what he was talking about.
I expect there may well be more information on the CIBSE web site.

The Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) updated Part F of their Building Regulations Document in 2010
Part F now specifically requires "Mechanical ventilation systems air flow rates to be measured on site and a notice of the results given to Building Control in new dwellings". The new domestic ventilation compliance guide states that a mechanical ventilation system can be as simple as an extraction fan in a kitchen or bathroom.

The Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) updated Part F of their Building Regulations Document in 2010
Part F now specifically requires "Mechanical ventilation systems air flow rates to be measured on site and a notice of the results given to Building Control in new dwellings". The new domestic ventilation compliance guide states that a mechanical ventilation system can be as simple as an extraction fan in a kitchen or bathroom.

Guess that means its new builds. i have been told its ok manufacturers quoted flow rates by LAB or at least the the view of the BO here.

bad news boys
have been on the phone to labc today and directed to the planning portal and from there to the domestic compliance guides for ventilation and part f.
oooh great..
from there is section five which includes a 6 page cert to be filled in with the sort of questions we have to answer on a installation cert.
measured airflow..
competent persons scheme reg number../??
amount of undercut on doors for air transfer
condensate connections

this counts on all work covered by the building inspector notifed after oct 2010.
not new builds
the one im working on is a attached garage turned into a granny flat..bedroom lounge shower room.

oh and the results must be notifed to the labc within 5 ...yes five days of testing.
after all its a mater of life and death.....airflow.....not like electric than can wait for 25 days to notify.

so far after an hour or so of looking on the net i can find 1 model to by or rent.
airflow lca 301....rent £70 a week....buy..£450...

id just love some one in the know here to give me a clue.

how had the need for us all to get a £500 tester and most likley get trained for measuring airflow sliped by us without anyone noticing??

all replys greatfully recived

ta
vitoboy

Seems to contradict what's been discovered previously then:

"Domestic Ventilation Compliance Guide: This guide prvides detailed guidance to help persons comply with requirements in building regulations for installation, inspection and testing when installing fixed ventilation systems in new and existing buildings."

Reply to airflow meters for extracor fans..building inspectors in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net