Discuss Alarm advice required in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm taking on a Unit which is a railway arch (Network Rail properties). It has power but no phone/data connections. I'd like to fit an alarm/CCTV set up to it that won't break the bank and can be connected to the internet via wi-fi (BT open zone).

I'm not really bothered about having it make a noise as I doubt anyone would notice. I'd like it to notify me of any potential intruders, and record video of the inside direct to the web or other remote video storage device.

Any recommendations to narrow down my search?

You would really need power for CCTV or to even have an alarm fitted as far as i know...

Most DVRS come with IP viewing built in, to allow you to view remotely. Some DVR's have an "alarm" output, which can be set up to sound an alarm sounder.

Saw this on amazon, reasonable price. Has an alarm output and can be connected to the internet for IP viewing.

Basically, you set it up so that if the camera senses movement in a certain area, it will sound the alarm until you reset it. If it dosent work like that then i think you can fit PIR's to it...

Connect a low voltage sounder like this: 24VDC Multi Tone IP65 Sounder | City Electrical Factors It says 24v, but these will run happy and loud at 12v, IP65 rated too, so can be put outside the unit.

It will record the video to the DVR, so thats the recording aspect done, will sound an alarm, can be viewed remotely, the only thing is i dont know how it would contact you... perhaps some sort of autodialer...ill look into it...

Hope it helps, if i talked crap explaining it, ask and i will say it again...

EDIT: You will need mains for this sort of setup...

Try looking at the visonic range. It is wireless has the ability to contact via Internet or sim and all the parts including cameras are 12v so can be powered by a car battery.

Cheers for that. It has single and three phase power in the unit so no worries there.

Ahh, thats a breeze then. I just thought it would be handy for that sort of setup, i meant to link this: 8CH H.264 D1 Network IP CCTV Digital Video Recorder DVR: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

If you look on the back, it has the ports for a network cable and an alarm output. Think because its connected to the internet there might be an option to send an email, handy if you have a smart phone for alerts. Just an idea anyhow. Didnt see the point in having an alarm system with an autodialer thing at around 100, then a dvr for security when you can get it all in one sort of thing. Best thing is to look around to see what you need, but hopefully that sets you on the right tracks.

EDIT: Think you will have to fit a hard drive to this, but it can be a small cheap and cheerful one, on this dvr, there is a setting only to record when it detects movement/is in alarm, so you wont need a very big space if it isnt going to be always recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually wish i read your post right... i thought you had no power thats why i said you need power, whoops! No data...mmm... Do you own the BT Openzone? (in your unit,) or is it just public wifi?

I've got BT broadband at home so I can connect to Open Zones. As the unit's right in the centre of Birmingham getting access to an open zone isn't a problem.

right...just thinking how secure it would be to run your CCTV through an openzone... and other than a wired connection im not sure how these DVR's can connect to the internet... i wonder if there are wireless versions about? I'm sure they arnt cheap though...

Reply to Alarm advice required in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net