Discuss Alarm System Chalanger (CEF) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

piz

Good Morning all I bought an alarm system from CEF made for them by chalanger I have had installed 5 sensors 1 bell box 1 controll panel and 2 keypads
everything works fine but from either keypad I get a ticking noise that the customer says will keep him awake
I can set D/s or u/s or both but still ticks the customer said how about getting 2 keypads of another make would this be ok?
I have spoken to technical at chalanger and they have never heared of this before and fobed me off with a damaged wire( I have checked continuity and they are all ok also if they wernt the alarm would not work
this is probably my fault for being a cheap skate but had a budget to meet
I have changed the keypads with some more of the same ones but no different
Cheers

Good Morning all I bought an alarm system from CEF made for them by chalanger I have had installed 5 sensors 1 bell box 1 controll panel and 2 keypads
everything works fine but from either keypad I get a ticking noise that the customer says will keep him awake
I can set D/s or u/s or both but still ticks the customer said how about getting 2 keypads of another make would this be ok?

A little more info would be useful like the model of panel fitted

Another make of keypad will not work as equipment is manufacturer and can be panel specific

I have spoken to technical at chalanger and they have never heared of this before and fobed me off with a damaged wire( I have checked continuity and they are all ok also if they wernt the alarm would not work
this is probably my fault for being a cheap skate but had a budget to meet
I have changed the keypads with some more of the same ones but no different
Cheers[/QUOTE]

As well as continuity you need to check for shorts on the cables. My guess would be interference is being induced in to the cables so you would need to test for that as well or check your cable routing. A simple test would be to measure the AC voltage on the DC power line as a high AC component is usually the cause of problems like this

I am in the process of replacing a challenger panel that is actually a badged Securit 801 because the spark who fitted it 5-6 years ago never commissioned it as he had a ADE Accenta keypad fitted to it and challenger has moved on to badged ADE Optima,s .

First of all disconnect one of the keypads and see what happens if you still have the problem swap them over if you think its the wiring disconnect a keypad and make up a 1 metre lead and connect it into the control panel .

PS Me thinks you have an Optima panel but if not sure send a link to the panel you used from challenger

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, they can be Optima or Accenta badged as Challanger. I use ADE for low cost, low security installations and generally have few problems with them, particularly if the battery is replaced at the appropriate intervals (the charging circuit does not cope well with goosed batteries).

I have heard a low clicking sound off the led RKP, but not loud enough to keep someone awake, even if the RKP was in their bedroom!

As has been suggested, check all the voltages (input ac, output from transformer and Aux, bell, RKP etc)

If it's an Accenta are you using LED or LCD RKPs?

Regards.

hiya 1st can I say thanks to you all for the info I am using 2 ap11 leds
I think it would be a good idea from control panel to conect 1 6 core wire direct to a keypad this will eliminate cable damage? or even 4 ? do the tamper wires need to be connected they aint at present but this will also give me 2 spare wires to play with
Cheers

RKP tamper is obviously advised for normal system use; however you can dis it if required - just loop out the RKP tamper connections in the panel.

Regards.

sounds like the cable poss to the keypad run near mains cabling so some harmonics can be heard through the small sounder in the keypad.
Can it be moved away if you know the route, this would be the best option or possibly earthing out any spare cores (not good) but may reduce it.

Reply to Alarm System Chalanger (CEF) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock