Discuss Alarm system recommendations?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,I'm in the process of buying a new house and i'm looking to install a new burglar alarm when i get the keys. Don't really have much knowledge of alarm system's, so im looking for a bit advice from you guys. Nothing too complicated! Its just a 3 bed semi, maybe 4 Pir's ,couple of doors sensors, bell box, key pad etc. Like i say,nothing too flash! Any suggestions would be great. (£150-£200 would be ideal if possible!) Cheers in advance!

Touchwood I've had one false alarm with my Pyronix Enforcer and that was down to a failing battery in a sensor that I dismissed because it wasn't long after I'd fitted it (turned out the best before date of the battery was 3 months prior to me fitting it). The WiFi side of things is great, can see the state of it from my phone and set it if I forgot. But price wise they aren't cheap.

If I was going wireless I'd use Visonic or Pyronix. If it's wireless and meant for DIY installers I'd steer clear.

For wired, I'd probably go with an Acenta or Optima (by Honeywell ADE I believe). They do have some communication options as add on boards but I don't believe it's anywhere near as full functional as say the Pyronix stuff (I can reprogram the panel over the internet if I so desire and perform all sorts of maintenance tasks).

This is all based on my personal experiences with these systems. I've found both the Pyronix and the Acenta/Optima systems to be dead easy to work on. The Pyronix menus take a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of navigation it's pretty straight forward.

Touchwood I've had one false alarm with my Pyronix Enforcer and that was down to a failing battery in a sensor that I dismissed because it wasn't long after I'd fitted it (turned out the best before date of the battery was 3 months prior to me fitting it). The WiFi side of things is great, can see the state of it from my phone and set it if I forgot. But price wise they aren't cheap.

If I was going wireless I'd use Visonic or Pyronix. If it's wireless and meant for DIY installers I'd steer clear.

For wired, I'd probably go with an Acenta or Optima (by Honeywell ADE I believe). They do have some communication options as add on boards but I don't believe it's anywhere near as full functional as say the Pyronix stuff (I can reprogram the panel over the internet if I so desire and perform all sorts of maintenance tasks).

This is all based on my personal experiences with these systems. I've found both the Pyronix and the Acenta/Optima systems to be dead easy to work on. The Pyronix menus take a bit of getting used to, but once you get the hang of navigation it's pretty straight forward.
Thanks for the info. The Pyronix enforcer looks a great bit of kit but like you say, aint too cheap!!

Thanks for the info. The Pyronix enforcer looks a great bit of kit but like you say, aint too cheap!!

No... it's not cheap. You can use them in a fully wired scenario as you can add expansion modules but if you're going that route I'd use one of the Euro panels which I think are designed for wired solutions.

If I understand them correctly, they have some incredible capabilities surrounding using inputs and logic to control outputs or trigger alarms.

I went for it basically because I didn't want the hassle of running cables. I fitted one at a customers where their existing panel had died and they wanted to expand the area covered. Was much easier to use wireless. The only wired accessory they retained was the panic button by the front door.

I generally use Texecom Veritas Excel panels for small systems mainly due to the keypad having an LCD display and the detection circuits can be wired using E.O.L. monitoring

Reply to Alarm system recommendations?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net