Discuss All Lights in House not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
All the lights in the house have suddenly stopped working. Believe my wife tried to switch on on, and can't say what fuse box looked like after as she dealt with it first. Have tried re-setting rcd switch and light switch, though that is complicated. We had an extension a year ago and the one that says lights doesn't as far as I'm aware work the lights anymore. A new switch was added dead centre, which to the best of my knowledge works the lights. I'm adding a photo if possible. Anyone got any ideas at all please. Don't really want to be going round taking off every light and switch, when I haven't a clue where to look. Some lights do flicker, others do nothing at
all. Any help really appreciated. The switch to the left of centre is the one that was added and works lighting.
IMG_1657.JPG

Possibly an open/loose neutral fault?
Using a multimeter do you get any voltage on netrual to earth at a lighting point

No the rcb resets as normal, which normally cures things if it's just a bulb blown. No idea why rcbo isn't compatible, has worked for a year, and was a local builder and electrician with good reputation. Fault happened when wife tried to switch on bedroom wall lights or bedroom main light. Unsure as is a double switch. These are also new, lcd I believe and supposed to last ages. Is it likely to be a loose wire in either light switch or light fitting? In Stockton on Tees, but not urgent to get it fixed tonight. Everything else works including table lights etc, that are plug in of course. Just main circuit for lights not working.IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1659.JPG

reason he said it was not compatible is that it's a different make to all the other devices.it will work, but it does not comply with manufacturers specifications, as the CU has been modified from it's original design. a local electrician should be able to sort out the fault in an hour or so. i would also ask him/her to fit the correct brand of RCBO.

Reply to All Lights in House not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net