Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss All three neutral wires needed for a smart single gang light switch? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. bbgun

bbgun New EF Member

Hi all,

I'm wiring one of those smart switches which is a single gang and I have three live wires (x2 com) (x1 L1) and three neutral wires that are currently in a block. The original switch just use live (com and L1).

I've wired up the new switch with the live wires but I am trying to attach the neutral wires. Do all three need to connect to the switch or could I get away with one being attached and the other two in the block?

Thanks in advance!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Barnaby Stedman

Barnaby Stedman Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    ABElectrical
    if you cant fit all neutrals into the terminal then join them together in a choc block and do a jumper from the choc block to the terminal. the main thing is that all neutrals are connected together

• Like Like x 3
  3. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

No you cannot separate them. If stuck connect them together in a 4 port wago and take a neutral from it and into the switch

• Like Like x 3
  4. bbgun

bbgun New EF Member

Fantastic, thanks for the advice. Used a jumper cable and it works like a charm!

5. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Big assumption that neutrals are neutrals and not switched lines that haven’t been sleeved

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DPG

DPG Respected Member

They were already connected together, and the system was working.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Ok :D

• Funny Funny x 1