Discuss All types of led lighting in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ive just ordered a couple small es bulb shaped lamps for bedroom.

Holder is rated for max of 30 watts and im putting In 3.5watt led's in it should be a lot brighter than at the present time.

Anyone used these before?

I now fit LED down lights as standard in bathroom refurbs.. 10.5W each. Warm white usually. Although have used daylight col temp in shower rooms; they are a bit too bright to relax around (even when dimmed). So if there's a bath, use warm white/neutral white, not daylight.

Anyone got a recommendation for LED spots? Need some to go in a church refurb.

We fit the halers h2 pro. They are a doddle to fit and have a 7 year warranty with no bulbs to change. They are about 30 pounds per light but they are dimmable as standard; have a 60 degree beam angle; available in warm, cool and natural white and have interchangeable bezels. They are also fire rated. Worth a look anyway, I'd recommend them.

The science behind LED's:-

An LED is what's called a "solid-state lighting" technology, or SSL. Basically, instead of emitting light from a vacuum (as in an incandescent bulb) or a gas (as in a CFL), an SSL emits light from a piece of solid matter. In the case of a traditional LED, that piece of matter is a semiconductor.
Stated very simply, an LED produces light when electrons move around within its semiconductor structure.
A semiconductor is made of a positively charged and a negatively charged component. The positive layer has "holes" -- openings for electrons; the negative layer has free electrons floating around in it. When an electric charge strikes the semiconductor, it activates the flow of electrons from the negative to the positive layer. Those excited electrons emit light as they flow into the positively charged holes.
The problem with LEDs as primary home lighting is that while they emit a lot of light, the structure of an LED causes some of that light to get trapped inside. So an LED bulb has traditionally been dimmer than an incandescent bulb, and most people want their lamps and ceiling fixtures to be pretty bright.
Recently, though, LEDs bulbs have brightened up. You can now find LED replacement bulbs that emit light equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent light bulb, which makes them a viable technology for basic lighting needs at home.

You really need to ask what is a LED...Light Emitting Diode, and as a diode it is capable of acting as any other diode, it can rectify, it can bridge, or block polarity...used in series with a resistor, its also a great current limiter, great for charging nicads batteries, as in bell boxes, or drill battery charges....and at the same time giving off light, so this little guy is quite a useful component, and i think will be the future.

LED manufacturers state up to 50,000 hours for example. This may be correct, the actual LED may last the specified hours, however the other components may not.

Fitted some Ansell 2ft x 2ft flat panel LEDs in an office recently .... Super bright- had to get a rep out to spec how many where required - good job we did otherwise we defiantly would of put to many in.

LED manufacturers state up to 50,000 hours for example. This may be correct, the actual LED may last the specified hours, however the other components may not.

Exactly, we just changed,150 55W lights for 15W LEDs because over the next 5yrs they will make their money back and save from then on, but like you just said the LED is said to last so long but we aren't too sure how long the driver will last that converts the output

The downlights we are installing (driver in-built) have a 5yr standard (10yr if registered on-line) guarantee. Over 10 years, 50,000hrs is 13.7hrs per day, more than most will be on for so I assume they're confident with other components too. We have had some fail, only at two premises so probably a 'bad batch'. The downside is, they don't pay the contractor for the time to replace 'their guaranteed product'! Time will tell, and I have to admit, I like them which is a complete u-turn!

Hi Guy,s I have got 15 x 1200x600 skytile's to fit in a customer's unit next week. i have used these before and they are impressive with the cool white spec. Not the cheapest of unit's but a quality make with a 5 year Guarantee, this is the kind of thing that appeals to the customer. My guy is fed up with the knacked switched start flourescents, having to change tubes and starters! also they run at 4 x 36w tubes= 144w per unit, where as the panels are 55w per panel.
Here's a link for anyone who's interested.
Skytile 1200x600 LED flat ceiling panel

Those are a great bit of kit GMES. I've seen a 600x600 fitted to a standard plastered ceiling with the brackets supplied and what a brilliant looking fitting. How much did they cost you?

Are we ok to give prices here Paul, just a thought with it being open t the public. I am more than happy to share but what about you and the other guy's??
Let me know Paul.

Are we ok to give prices here Paul, just a thought with it being open t the public. I am more than happy to share but what about you and the other guy's??
Let me know Paul.

I'm not sure Glenn? I have not had a read of the admin/mods rule book yet, making it up as i go along lol.

Keep prices away from here. I'll start a thread in the Arms and just post up a link on here for the members. If any none Arms members want to know the price of the fittings we are talking about send me a PM and I'll PM you back with the info once I check that your a sparky and not a customer trying to find out what we pay for goods at the wholesalers.

Done:- http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...salers-prices-away-open-forum.html#post945539

Last edited:
I'm not sure Glenn? I have not had a read of the admin/mods rule book yet, making it up as i go along lol.

Keep prices away from here. I'll start a thread in the Arms and just post up a link on here for the members. If any none Arms members want to know the price of the fittings we are talking about send me a PM and I'll PM you back with the info once I check that your a sparky and not a customer trying to find out what we pay for goods at the wholesalers.
Good idea i just thought it may upset a few of the lad's if we started giving out our discount's etc. My customers know i make profit on parts it is how we make a living, but some guy's could have awkward customers. the link to the arms will be a better idea.
Also let me know if you got that email with the guides attached, if not i will send it again .

I like the look of these, lot's of my customers have the 16 or 28w 2d fittings in toilets etc, i think the Led equivelant's on the link may be worth a look at. the Lumen difference between the 2 lights is quite impressive on page 5.
2D 600w Led 1600 lumens.
What do we think or even better as anyone got 1st hand experience with them.

http://www.jcc.co.uk/media/downloads/brochures/JCC_RadialLED_Product_Brochure.pdf

Reply to All types of led lighting in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net