Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sparky_marky2

Sparky_marky2 Regular EF Member

Hi guys,

New to the forum and would much appreciate your opinions, I'm wiring a power radial circuit for one double socket for a customer, however part of the run (2 meters) will run on the outside of the house and then back inside, up from the ground floor to the first floor. The customer has specified that they do not want conduit running outside the wall so thats 2.5 twin and earth out of the question but I was wondering are there any alternatives to using armoured SWA on an external wall for power for sockets?

Also they've ruled out chasing the wall on the inside due to a big ornate feature on the wall.
    Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi Guys - other cables that may present themselves as "possible maybes" won't be as good and will look like SWA anyway, imho.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sparky_marky2

I was looking into NYY-J cables or Multi Flex SY, has anyone had previous experience using these on a domestic install?

Thanks again

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hituff .....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sparky_marky2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2017
  7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Yes there are alternatives to SWA, but they don't provide identical protection so you need to consider what protection is required to select a suitable cable.

I would say that SWA is not suitable for this application due to the need to find a way of properly glanding it.
    H07-RNF or hi-tuff/NYY-J type cables would probably be more suitable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. davesparks

my only experience of SY in a domestic install was removing it after some idiot installed it outside

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Sparky_marky2

Murdoch - :thumbsup:

savesparks - yeh I was stood outside his house although its a bungalow, the garage is on the bottom and living room is above it and where the cable will be coming out of will be above 2m in height so out of the way on potential physical harm.. and thats why i was looking at alternatives to SWA due to the difficulties of having to gland it at one end.

10. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

I'll throw Pyro into the mix. No chance of anyone paying for it (or many DI's being able to use it). If you want discreet though......

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. davesparks

What is the relevance of it being above 2m?
    I'm not aware of anything that requires SWA below 2m,

• Like Like x 1
  12. davesparks

It would be my choice if I had to do it, but then I've got a bunch of offcuts in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Would he even know what it is?
    I can picture it now,the DI trying to fit a tap on the end :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Sparky_marky2

Davesparks - not necessarily a requirement just less chance of the cable being hit by a car on the driveway if its higher up and out of reach, thanks for the help and advice its much appreciated.

Des 56 - :D

15. davesparks

If there is a chance of that kind of mechanical damage occurring then SWA is not suitable, you would need steel conduit or MICC to have any chance of resisting the impact (they wouldn't survive the collapse of the wall though). But the correct way to deal with such a risk would be to find an alternative route.

Although I think it's entirely unnecessary to consider being hit by a car on a domestic driveway as a possible risk to a cable on a wall, the probability is minimal.