Discuss Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum and would much appreciate your opinions, I'm wiring a power radial circuit for one double socket for a customer, however part of the run (2 meters) will run on the outside of the house and then back inside, up from the ground floor to the first floor. The customer has specified that they do not want conduit running outside the wall so thats 2.5 twin and earth out of the question but I was wondering are there any alternatives to using armoured SWA on an external wall for power for sockets?

Also they've ruled out chasing the wall on the inside due to a big ornate feature on the wall.
Thanks in advance,

Mark

Gavin - Wilko, thanks for the quick reply guys, is NYY-J the same/similar to Hi Tuff cable, I've heard of it but don't think i've actually come across it, is the link below Hi Tuff cable?

Time Tough Flexible Cable 3183TRS 3-Core 1.5mm² x 25m Black - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/time-tough-flexible-cable-3183trs-3-core-1-5mm-x-25m-black/55534?kpid=55534&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqb-IkOus1QIVwrDtCh1wfQSyEAQYASABEgLdOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMWW65LrrNUCFYYg0wodPCAIvA

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there are alternatives to SWA, but they don't provide identical protection so you need to consider what protection is required to select a suitable cable.

I would say that SWA is not suitable for this application due to the need to find a way of properly glanding it.
H07-RNF or hi-tuff/NYY-J type cables would probably be more suitable.

Murdoch - :thumbsup:

savesparks - yeh I was stood outside his house although its a bungalow, the garage is on the bottom and living room is above it and where the cable will be coming out of will be above 2m in height so out of the way on potential physical harm.. and thats why i was looking at alternatives to SWA due to the difficulties of having to gland it at one end.

Murdoch - :thumbsup:

savesparks - yeh I was stood outside his house although its a bungalow, the garage is on the bottom and living room is above it and where the cable will be coming out of will be above 2m in height so out of the way on potential physical harm.. and thats why i was looking at alternatives to SWA due to the difficulties of having to gland it at one end.

What is the relevance of it being above 2m?
I'm not aware of anything that requires SWA below 2m,

Davesparks - not necessarily a requirement just less chance of the cable being hit by a car on the driveway if its higher up and out of reach, thanks for the help and advice its much appreciated.

Des 56 - :D

Davesparks - not necessarily a requirement just less chance of the cable being hit by a car on the driveway if its higher up and out of reach, thanks for the help and advice its much appreciated.

Des 56 - :D

If there is a chance of that kind of mechanical damage occurring then SWA is not suitable, you would need steel conduit or MICC to have any chance of resisting the impact (they wouldn't survive the collapse of the wall though). But the correct way to deal with such a risk would be to find an alternative route.

Although I think it's entirely unnecessary to consider being hit by a car on a domestic driveway as a possible risk to a cable on a wall, the probability is minimal.

If there is a chance of that kind of mechanical damage occurring then SWA is not suitable, you would need steel conduit or MICC to have any chance of resisting the impact (they wouldn't survive the collapse of the wall though). But the correct way to deal with such a risk would be to find an alternative route.

Although I think it's entirely unnecessary to consider being hit by a car on a domestic driveway as a possible risk to a cable on a wall, the probability is minimal.

"they wouldn't survive the collapse of the wall though" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Dave as always thanks for the detailed response its definitely insightful

Gavin - Wilko, thanks for the quick reply guys, is NYY-J the same/similar to Hi Tuff cable, I've heard of it but don't think i've actually come across it, is the link below Hi Tuff cable?

Time Tough Flexible Cable 3183TRS 3-Core 1.5mm² x 25m Black - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/time-tough-flexible-cable-3183trs-3-core-1-5mm-x-25m-black/55534?kpid=55534&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqb-IkOus1QIVwrDtCh1wfQSyEAQYASABEgLdOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMWW65LrrNUCFYYg0wodPCAIvA
Hi tuff is the same as NYY-J.
The link you have is to tough rubber sheathed cable, it is a cable I would use outside, but it is only recommended for short period outside use, the next similar cable is H07RNF cable that has a neoprene sheath and so will not have the potential to absorb water, apparently H05RNF is not suitable for long term outside use, but I am not sure why.
Any waterproof and UV stable cable would be suitable for use outside, however you then have to consider the environment in which it is installed to see if the cable type is suitable for the environment. In your case the likelihood of anything other than rain and sun hitting it seem limited.

The link you have is to tough rubber sheathed cable, it is a cable I would use outside, but it is only recommended for short period outside use, the next similar cable is H07RNF cable that has a neoprene sheath and so will not have the potential to absorb water, apparently H05RNF is not suitable for long term outside use, but I am not sure why.

Those are both suitable for use outside, but H05RNF is not commonly available.
3183trs such as linked above is normally H05RRF I think, which is rubber sheathed and insulated.

Thank you for that this made me check the H05RNF cable again and it is suitable for outside use, the last place I checked it was not!
However it does appear it might be obsolete (why?) and may not meet the construction products regulations.
TRS is H05RRF as far as I know.

Reply to Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net