Discuss Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely with M.I. you'd face the same issues with glanding properly as you would with SWA in this scenario ? I'd tell the customer that a short piece of conduit was the only economical solution, however where there is minimal risk of mechanical damage I've seen a lot of T&E externally clipped with no apparent ill effects, not for many years anyway. Just saying.... :)

Is there not a conventional route internally?? I can't even remember the last time I even contemplated doing something like you are suggesting in a house?

I'll throw Pyro into the mix.
So would I. Slim, unobtrusive, impact resistant, UV resistant etc. If 2.5 T+E was adequate for the circuit then 2L1.5 MI will probably be suitable, only 7mm diameter including PVC oversheath. It can be glanded within the depth of the wall, into a coupler bushed into a rear knockout of a flush metal socket box. Using an earth-tail seal overcomes the need to access the gland nut to prove maintainability of the CPC connection. No-brainer in my book.

Hi guys, update: i went to 3 wholesalers intending to get myself some Hi tuff/NYY-J and all i got from all three suppliers was a blank stare and that they would have to order it in specially, ended up using t+e in conduit as the customer wanted it done ASAP... at least next time i know to order in advance.

So would I. Slim, unobtrusive, impact resistant, UV resistant etc. If 2.5 T+E was adequate for the circuit then 2L1.5 MI will probably be suitable, only 7mm diameter including PVC oversheath. It can be glanded within the depth of the wall, into a coupler bushed into a rear knockout of a flush metal socket box. Using an earth-tail seal overcomes the need to access the gland nut to prove maintainability of the CPC connection. No-brainer in my book.

I agree but the problem is the cost, it's only oddballs like you and I who have stocks and offcuts of this stuff on the shelf and buying it new is just ridiculous now.
Plus I don't do general domestic work like this, and I assume you probably don't do too much of it either.

Hi guys, update: i went to 3 wholesalers intending to get myself some Hi tuff/NYY-J and all i got from all three suppliers was a blank stare and that they would have to order it in specially, ended up using t+e in conduit as the customer wanted it done ASAP... at least next time i know to order in advance.

Yeah most wholesalers I go in don't stock it, and they usually try to sell me SY control cable instead....always have a bit of 2.5 and 1.5 NYY in my lock up now, and order more from TLC when I am running low.

Reply to Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net