Discuss Aluminium cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ccc of what looks like 1.5mm single core aluminium cable also 7core 2.5mm aluminium does anyone no ? Ally only starts at 16mm I think in 7671 if I remember not got it with me,let me no what you think guys please if I remember a long time ago I read that it halfs? Correct me if I'm wrong cheers

Ccc of what looks like 1.5mm single core aluminium cable also 7core 2.5mm aluminium does anyone no ? Ally only starts at 16mm I think in 7671 if I remember not got it with me,let me no what you think guys please if I remember a long time ago I read that it halfs? Correct me if I'm wrong cheers
Is this cable a twin and earth type? could be 7/029 tinned CU

Sockets and lights done a mains change he wants a Cert upon noticed this and lots of other bits,not sure how to do pickys sorry useless with anything tech! Used for Texas Instruments in 1924 I think

Sockets and lights done a mains change he wants a Cert upon noticed this and lots of other bits,not sure how to do pickys sorry useless with anything tech! Used for Texas Instruments in 1924 I think
Well I bet it's non metric, was the lighting cable th 7 cores or only 3?

I should imagine it is copperclad aluminium which came about in the 70s when copper prices shot up. It is made by getting an aluminium bar, fit it through a copper tube and essentially stretching it. Lighting cables were normally 1.5 and power 4.0, realistically this should not be terminated at tunnel terminals, especially the 1.5 as it just breaks. I replaced a couple of boards just over a year ago and Wagoed all the ends in the boards, cable tied them neatly to the new conductors and tucked them behind the breakers and put notices on both boards. Essentially it should be rewired.

That's exactly what I think Westwood lights 1.5 and sockets look like 4mm good man! What you think about ccc? This come from Texas components in the 70,s yes correct,would you issue Cert? Half the ccc of the cable ?also I am going to put a lot Less inspection period on the Cert as problems can occur a lot quick I should imagine

That's exactly what I think Westwood lights 1.5 and sockets look like 4mm good man! What you think about ccc? This come from Texas components in the 70,s yes correct,would you issue Cert? Half the ccc of the cable ?also I am going to put a lot Less inspection period on the Cert as problems can occur a lot quick I should imagine
Well no answer for me then?

Sorry Pete ! Thanks a lot for your input sockets 7 core lights 1 core..batterie went quick charge in van and just a quick look at last post Grateful for any advise much appreciated great site great knowledge !

Sorry Pete ! Thanks a lot for your input sockets 7 core lights 1 core..batterie went quick charge in van and just a quick look at last post Grateful for any advise much appreciated great site great knowledge !
OK Mate yhanks for the respnse, you are deffo its alum? my thaughts were that the cables you have are/maybe 1/044 for the lighting and 7/029 for the sockets, but if you are convince that the cable is Alum then maybe Westward is correct, I wouldn't doubt his input for a minute.

Most of the cable I have seen was manufactured by BICC (British Insulated Callender's Cables). As for the ccc I would keep the 1.5 to 6A, if the 4.0 are ring finals no reason why they cannot be on 32As but for a radial I would stick to 20A. Like I said this should ideally be rewired due to tunnel termination issues, at my site the client didn't want the expense (eight bed farmhouse) and my pic above is just the lighting board. You need to fit warning notices, as a matter of interest did you connect the aluminium clad conductors direct to the board terminals.

Reply to Aluminium cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net