Discuss Always-on rear view camera for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but is anyone aware of an always-on rear view camera that could be mounted on a retro-fitted rear view mirror? Van has a solid bulkhead and a reversing camera, but keen to have a permanent rear view option to spot those pesky cyclists ;-)

bought one a while ago. the screen clips onto the rear view mirror. that was wired as always on so i had a rear view "mirror" as well as a camera. ideal for solid bulkheads and/or all metal rear doors.

I've bought a cheap reversing camera from ebay that should override the image on the radio screen using a suitable video adaptor cable.
Currently looking for a suitable place to mount it on the back of the van.
Going to have a momentary push button for viewing while driving, also comes on when using reverse gear.
(using a relay, so my push button doesn't bring on the reverse lights :rolleyes:)
I should have bought a camera with an adjustable mounting bracket. The one I got is built into a wedge shaped piece of plastic and can only be mounted on a horizontal surface, upside down, to give the correct view.
Ideally I would have liked it on the vertical rear door of the van. The angle of view is correct, but the camera would then be upside down.
Looking for a solution to this. The camera is pretty well glued into the wedge so I cant turn it around.

Where did you stick it, Dan? I'm now thinking of either binning this one and getting one on an adjustable bracket, or somehow fix it to the inside of the rear bumper, drilling a hole in the bumper to view out?

I could take a hacksaw to the plastic wedge and remove the camera completely?... then stick it the van door somehow.

Ahhh I have one on a Kia Sedona so just inside the rear window. Keeps it clean and dry. I have a mate with a VW LT35 or whatever that has no windows in the doors that has drilled through the centre of the VW badge on the left door and sneaked it inside. You can't tell it's there looking unless you're right up to it.

You'd need do something clever like that.

Maybe a hole above the key lock so from a few feet away it looks like part of the lock?

Citroen berlingo van. Rear doors are asymmetric, so it can be fitted fully on the main door to be central. No windows, would have to be drilled through the skin.

Has a detachable towbar, so a camera would help on hooking on a trailer, but my idea of fitting it inside the bumper, the towbar would be above the viewpoint and obscure the image.

Door handle height would be ideal, but needs to be at the right angle to see the towbar, and the road when reversing.

I think ill just get an adjustable bracket version, or cut this one up to make it adjustable.

Those wedge ones are supposed to be screwed upwards near where the numberplate lamps are...

FN-351-3.jpg

Citroen berlingo van

Ah, that's not going to work then, the angle will be wrong, it will just be looking out, rather than down. A think an adjustable one is your only hope, but I think those big cube or rectangular ones look ridiculous, especially on a small van. A nice, compact, dome style would look good...

CCD Waterproof Night Car Reverse Camera Rear View Parking Adjustable Angle Small | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-Waterproof-Night-Car-Reverse-Camera-Rear-View-Parking-Adjustable-Angle-Small/122541049930

Although that particular one doesn't show a fitted example of which way up it is supposed to fit. :rolleyes:

Door handle height would be ideal

I wouldn't go drilling any holes near the door handle/lock, that's just asking for some scrote to try and jamb a screwdriver through it on the off chance he can jimmy the door open. Whether he succeeds or not, you're still left with a bent up door skin.

Last edited:
I thought it would need to be lower down for it to have the right view.
The indent where the number plate is close, next to one of the lights, but too far over to the left to be a flat part.
The centre line of the van must be where the lock is. Midway between the parking sensors.

Ok.. I've gone for another style of camera. Sits flat against the back of the door
Dan, did you say you've fitted one like this?
I've ran the video lead from the door under the liner, round the door trim and up the back of the dash to the back of the radio.
The video cable is a regular yellow ended RCA cable with a short length of red wire sticking out each end. I have no idea what this red wire is for.
The radio is the factory fitted for a citroen with 7 inch touchscreen. There is a spare port on the back, but I cant find any diagrams online to say what each port is. I am only assuming this spare port is an input for a camera.
The adaptor I bought is an RCA to Fakra plug (is that right?)
The plug and socket fit together, but the key slots on the plastic don't line up... i'll have to look for another adaptor.

Reply to Always-on rear view camera for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net