Discuss Am I 17th Edition qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sadamson125

Hi

Little bit confused. I started my apprenticeship in 2006 and half way through the 4 yearscheme the regs moved on to 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition. At the time the college and training providersaid that we would not have to sit the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] Ed exam. The result of 4 year apprenticeship below.

C&G 2330 level 2 completed October 2007
C&G 2330 level 3 completed June 2008
AM 2 completed October 2010
NVQ level 3 Electrotechnical services completed November2010

Then I got my gold card early 2011 graded as installationelectrician. 3 years down the line in2014 when my card expired I renewed it. I did not have to provide any other certification or update h&S.

So am I 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition qualified? I ask because I have been asked to take on NICEICQS role with my current employer and passed the assessment. The assessor seemed to be happy with mycertificates which I wasn’t expecting.
Any advice would be appreciated and put my mind at rest if Iwas ever to go for another job.

I thought to be a QS you would have to do the 17th addition course and sit the exam i did the 16th when it first came out then sat the 17th when that xame out and have been on all the 1 day courses for evey time they change te colour of the book , i guess maybe you only have to show copertance but the nic asked to see my certs

yea that's what I thought but the NIC assessor went through all my certificates and was happy enough. Maybe as my apprenticeship ended after the 17th was released I'm covered. I think I'll got and sit the exam anyway then I know for sure.

yea that's what I thought but the NIC assessor went through all my certificates and was happy enough. Maybe as my apprenticeship ended after the 17th was released I'm covered. I think I'll got and sit the exam anyway then I know for sure.

I wouldn't bother, 18th will be out soon enough.

You should be deemed as being 17th edition qualified, obviously not to Amd 3.
However often The NICEIC and other schemes will also require you to hold the 17th update exam.
If in this instance, no one is asking for the 17th update, then happy days.

No such thing as being 17th Edition qualified, you go on a course, sit a test and hopefully pass it.

Isn't that what all courses do,.turn up.. Do a test and then you get a bit of paper that says you know the --- cource.
The 2330 dosnt say I'm a electrician, just that I passed the tests for installing

So the 17th edition qualifion is a bit of paper saying you now the latest regs minus a few updates.
Now from a personal and insurance point of view I would want someone to be up to date with latest reg minus a few updates.

So saying there is no such thing as 17th edition wiring regs is tosh
It had QCF code
It's asked for in a lot of jobs

The question was am I 17th Edition qualified, British Standards offer no qualifications.

Reply to Am I 17th Edition qualified? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net