Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So first question... is this the electrician who carried out the report and who wants to do a load of work? I'm assuming it is. Why is the agent involved?

We're going to need to see some pictures to advise further really because doing this from afar, blind, is very difficult. Also, is there anything else on the report... if it's paper, print it, take photos and redact identifying details, then post them. An EICR which is what you should have has various sections on it, and it's important we see them all if we are to try and help you further.

I can think of no reason why he would want to link the main consumer unit/fuse box to the economy 7 one... I've actually got a quote to do where some numpty has done this and now the storage heater in my clients bedroom is on permanently.
Exactly so. The main switch for the economy 7 is right in front of the meters and so the wiring goes direct to that so why does he want to do that!

I have no way of uploading that is she problem as I am not at home and am using a note pad etc and I cannot upload I have to go the library to print things off. I know you are doing your best and you are all darlings xx

As @westward10 has suggested, Mr. "Electrician" needs to bring along his copy of the regulations. This should take the form of a big yellow book (roughly A4 in size), and it is titled "British Standard. Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations 17th Edition." The standard to which it relates is BS 7671:2008 and it incorporates 4 change sets... Ammendment 1:2011, Corrigendum 2013, Ammendment 2:2013 and Ammendment 3:2015. And for each and every C1, C2 and C3 on the 'report' he should be able to point you to a regulation that is contravened and explain it to you in terms you will understand. If he can't point you to a regulation that is relevant, then as far as I'm aware it should not be listed as a C1, C2 or C3 item. It could be listed on a continuation page, but only items that can be listed as observations with the code C1, C2 or FI can result in an unsatisfactory report. It's also worth noting that an EICR should not concern itself with the building regulations compliance... for example, if at some point in the past someone has notched a joist in the wrong way, this is irrelevant.

I think the best way forward for you is to engage the services of another electrician for this meeting... someone who can quiz the guy, explain things to you if the report writer can't and who can spot if he is just full of BS.

To give better advice than has already been given without knowledge of the installation, a copy of the report and at the very least, pictures of the items to which these things relate is dam near impossible, sorry.

As @westward10 has suggested, Mr. "Electrician" needs to bring along his copy of the regulations. This should take the form of a big yellow book (roughly A4 in size), and it is titled "British Standard. Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations 17th Edition." The standard to which it relates is BS 7671:2008 and it incorporates 4 change sets... Ammendment 1:2011, Corrigendum 2013, Ammendment 2:2013 and Ammendment 3:2015. And for each and every C1, C2 and C3 on the 'report' he should be able to point you to a regulation that is contravened and explain it to you in terms you will understand. If he can't point you to a regulation that is relevant, then as far as I'm aware it should not be listed as a C1, C2 or C3 item. It could be listed on a continuation page, but only items that can be listed as observations with the code C1, C2 or FI can result in an unsatisfactory report. It's also worth noting that an EICR should not concern itself with the building regulations compliance... for example, if at some point in the past someone has notched a joist in the wrong way, this is irrelevant.

I think the best way forward for you is to engage the services of another electrician for this meeting... someone who can quiz the guy, explain things to you if the report writer can't and who can spot if he is just full of BS.

To give better advice than has already been given without knowledge of the installation, a copy of the report and at the very least, pictures of the items to which these things relate is dam near impossible, sorry.

I wish I could upload but I do not have a smart phone or camera. I do not have the app to upload from a card.

However I am meeting them tomorrow that is the Agent and the electrician. This is what the Agent has said

I understand that you do not want to do any works outside the flat but I believe that any electric cable coming to the flat are the flats responsibility but I’m sure the electrician will clarify this tomorrow.

Also from what I understand any works done internally will not pass the certificate unless an investigation of the outside cables is carried out.

I wish I could upload but I do not have a smart phone or camera. I do not have the app to upload from a card.

However I am meeting them tomorrow that is the Agent and the electrician. This is what the Agent has said

I understand that you do not want to do any works outside the flat but I believe that any electric cable coming to the flat are the flats responsibility but I’m sure the electrician will clarify this tomorrow.

Also from what I understand any works done internally will not pass the certificate unless an investigation of the outside cables is carried out.
If the cable feeding the lat belongs to the DNO then that will be their responsibility, beware of the "Electrician and the Agent" being in cahoots with each other. You could find out who is responsible for the cable feeding the flats by contacting you electricity supplier. IF the Sparks and the agent are trying to pull a fast one, I find that repulsive. Don't sign anything until you have contacted the DNO ( electricity supplier) and got a second opinion, good luck for tomorrow.

If the cable feeding the lat belongs to the DNO then that will be their responsibility, beware of the "Electrician and the Agent" being in cahoots with each other. You could find out who is responsible for the cable feeding the flats by contacting you electricity supplier. IF the Sparks and the agent are trying to pull a fast one, I find that repulsive. Don't sign anything until you have contacted the DNO ( electricity supplier) and got a second opinion, good luck for tomorrow.
He maybe talking about a sub-distribution circuit.

do you have your own meter? if it's a supplier's meter, then anything before that is their responsibility.

if it's a landlord's meter, anything before that is up to him.

having said that, it's the responsibility of the electrician to ckeck the incoming supply and report on it's condition. remedial work would be at the cost tothe supplier or landlord as the case may be.

Thank you for that. Yes I am sure the Agent and the electrician are in cahoots. It all sounds very dodgy to me. He still hasn't itimized the bill and the agent is reminding me of my responsibilities as a Landlord but I know them already.

I agree that is what I am going to do

I agree that is what I am going to do
do you have your own meter? if it's a supplier's meter, then anything before that is their responsibility.

having said that, it's the responsibility of the electrician to ckeck the incoming supply and report on it's condition. remedial work would be at the cost tothe supplier or landlord as the case may be.

Yes I so have my own meter. I am not sure what cables he is talking about to be honest!

I am the Landlord my flat has a tenant in it and I asked for a safety certificate. I have always employed an electrician myself but I left it to the Agent this time and 2100 pounds for work and also the likely hood of more. The electrician said to me that not to worry it comes out of the rent! that is why he is not worried I think. Also when I told him I found that a lot of money I happen to say I didn't like the lights so he told me he could change them for me!! It is only a studio flat. I could have the whole place rewired for that. I had rewired 10 years ago.

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock