Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

would need to know the loading of the ufh to determine the fuse/MCB size, as a rough guide, ufh is approx.150 -200 watts /sq.m, so if you have,say 10sq.m, that's 2kw, approx 9A. fuse/MCB should be sized to protect the cable to the ufh, so could be anywhere between 10A and 32A depending on how it's wired.

It is about 20 square meters 12ft by 15ft something like that!

I so not know what wattage the fuses are at the moment I will find that out on Tuesday.

Every 5 years or change of tenant. Whichever comes sooner.

That is what is recommended but it is not obligatory according to the Gov site. 10 years for owner occupier home and five years for a tenanted property. Although I do know that agents like to do one after every new tenant.

That is what is recommended but it is not obligatory according to the Gov site. 10 years for owner occupier home and five years for a tenanted property. Although I do know that agents like to do one after every new tenant.
The Government WTF do they know, SFA

20sq.m. equates to around 4kW, i.e 18A, so i'd expect on a 2.5mm cable with a 20A MCB/fuse. assuming all are on the same circuit. if split over more circuits, the the MCB/fuse rating may belower.

True, but that is what is recommended. I think every five years is good to be on the safe side. It is the Agents who say after every tenant there should be a check. But it is best to be safe I think.
My Son is an Electrician, he is renting a property, no EICR it's a case of where can I rent at a good price? I know it's not right, but needs must I'm afraid, and until this excuse for a Government, become part of the real World we are doomed Mr Mainwaring, doomed. Stop fluffing around Mrs May, we don't have all of you privileges, or your money, think of the, what was the working population, all of you should be ashamed of your complete lack of knowledge of Mr and Mrs Average, stop thinking of who or what thinks of you, do the right thing, help the British people, because you aren't doing it yet. Look after number one, you constituents, well maybe not yours but you get my drift.

Last edited:
My Son is an Electrician, he is renting a property, no EICR it's a case of where can I rent at a good price? I know it's not right, but needs must I'm afraid, and until this excuse for a Government, become part of the real World we are doomed Mr Mainwaring, doomed.

If I was the Landlord I would be worried in case something went wrong. It is difficult to rent I must say, yes and it is not even law to have an EICR! However you have a duty of care me thinks.

me only ever once had any bad tennents. tasted like pi$$ but it was out of date anyway.

Am I being taken for a ride? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

lager is a chav's drink anyway ( polish,german and czech lager apart. ). makes me laught with some of these "export" lagers. supposedly danish, but brewed in the UK by carlsberg tetley.

You never know what not all but some tenants do.

This is so true, I've been on a call out where someone had deliberately sabotaged the immersion heater circuit by cutting the neutrals in a remote switch. It was either the tenants trying to screw the landlord over or a plumber touting for more work.

With regards to the inspection period, the 5 years or change of occupancy is listed in Guidance Note 3 from the IET.

And on a related but slightly different topic, I think I may have just lost out on an EICR for a property being bought as a rental because the agent quoted the buyers a price of £80 for an EICR. Purchaser did ask why there was such a difference in the price, which I explained was mainly down to the fact that some of us are very diligent and that when we're asked to do an inspection, we don't go in and concoct problems to build a big remedial works bill. Time will tell whether that carries any weight.

It wasn't clear whether that was what the "electrician" would charge £80 or whether the agent would charge that... if the later... how much is the guy doing the inspection going to make?

And on a related but slightly different topic, I think I may have just lost out on an EICR for a property being bought as a rental because the agent quoted the buyers a price of £80 for an EICR. Purchaser did ask why there was such a difference in the price, which I explained was mainly down to the fact that some of us are very diligent and that when we're asked to do an inspection, we don't go in and concoct problems to build a big remedial works bill. Time will tell whether that carries any weight.

It wasn't clear whether that was what the "electrician" would charge £80 or whether the agent would charge that... if the later... how much is the guy doing the inspection going to make?

Does the £80 include the agents cut?

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock