Discuss Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As @Dillb has asked above "What does your new contract say about your role?"
If they consider you still to be training then technically you should not be 'doing work that only a qualified sparky can do' without supervision.
If you are doing the work unsupervised then they are classing you in the same ranks as a qualified electrician and should pay you as such. Ask why this is not happening.

Well my task right now, is to clear up all of the cat3s they had hanging around, which is about 100 all in. Would you trust someone who doesn't know what they are doing for this? Considering they are the old red spot boards, riddled with asbestos, multiple circuits from one fuse (bs88) , loose fittings, broken carriers. Lots of sillys, im good enough to rectify these, but not good enough for a pay rise.

Haha... I am really a kitchen fitter, self taught who after reading a idiots guide to diy electrics went to a training centre as after just 3 weeks they said they could make me an electrician, they told me those 5 week wonder schools were rip off merchants and just want my money, reckoned the 3 week course was superior in every way. For just a bit more money they said they would make me a pat testing engineer and i will be able to make lots of money. At the end they said if i come back for another 4 weeks they would train me as a plumber too. They were really nice people and I can not thank them enough as now i am a qualified electrician and plumber. i still do a bit of kitchen fitting on the side but prefer to do slightly iffy electrical work. Not joined a scheme yet as that would involve knowing what I am doing and I dont have a multi tester, i just turn it on and plug a socket tester or light bulb in to see if it trips and works. not gone bang yet. I dont have insurance either as all my work is kosher so dont need it.

My brother worked on site with someone very similar to this. 6 month course online, off you go. I'm a sparky. Sacked within the week i believe.

Lots of sillys, im good enough to rectify these, but not good enough for a pay rise.
Hi - Take back some control - polish up your CV and apply for some jobs. Someone may want you and be willing to pay for it (a good thing) and even if you decide to stay on you'll have improved your interview skills :) .

Its an emotive issue, for those who did the nvq am2 route, fair play and good for you. I appreciate why you get annoyed with people calling themselves an electrician after you spent so many years training.
Do i call myself one , yes i do, if you described my work and asked customers they would all say i am an electrician. I do not have the NVQ and AM2, never got around to it, I came to this career after leaving the forces with a technical background. I have the 2365 L2&3 17th edition, 2392 and 2394 and due to sit 2391 version of the old 2395 in new year. I also have a NVQ in aerospace engineering.
Have 8 years in this career now, I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable and always willing to keep learning,I have an eye for detail and am very safety conscious. Registered with NICEIC purely to sign stuff off. So in eyes of some I am a DI. I dont do industrial stuff but stick with house bashing and light commercial stuff.
The point I make though is that I have met some people with all the qualifications nvq, am2 etc but they are dangerous and shouldn't be allowed near a screwdriver. The quality of the work is questionable.
I have met electricians mates who I would sooner trust and are sometimes more knowledgeable.

Gavin, absolutely spot on. I work for a national maintenance firm and I can tell you that you will be far more knowledgeable than the majority of the so called sparks on there who are JIB registered electricians (the company insist on that) and are a joke. They call themselves Electricians haha..... and can't even wire up a motor .

Oddly, the word Electrician derived from Magician - where some bod produced Tesla sparks and made people hair stand on end with the old van de graaff - the Victorians loved it. Even BS7671 doesn't use the term. Competent Person Electrical, I believe... So yes you can be an electrician, if you entertain at Parties apparently.

If you work unsupervised on electrical equipment,then by all means call yourself a electrician :clapping:

Take little notice of anyone telling you you need bits of often needless paper qualifications to meet criteria that none of those people can justifiably say is a sure fire estimation of what it entails to term someone a "electrican"

As a protected title the term electrician does not exist,its for you and you only to determine your own status
Its then for any prospective employer to accept or reject you on whatever criteria that happens to satisfy them

None of the posts making comment about how you have to have any particular piece of paper in order to regard yourself as an electrician are correct

Also.....I don't have AM2 either or a tech cert.
2356 NVQ3, 2391 and that's it, so you have more quals than me lol.
If you work unsupervised on electrical equipment,then by all means call yourself a electrician :clapping:

Take little notice of anyone telling you you need bits of often needless paper qualifications to meet criteria that none of those people can justifiably say is a sure fire estimation of what it entails to term someone a "electrican"

As a protected title the term electrician does not exist,its for you and you only to determine your own status
Its then for any prospective employer to accept or reject you on whatever criteria that happens to satisfy them

None of the posts making comment about how you have to have any particular piece of paper in order to regard yourself as an electrician are correct

That has some merit, but he doesn't need to convince himself. He needs to convince his employer. If he had a JIB card stating he was an Electrician he wouldn't be having this issue.

Also.....I don't have AM2 either or a tech cert.
2356 NVQ3, 2391 and that's it, so you have more quals than me lol.

That has some merit, but he doesn't need to convince himself. He needs to convince his employer. If he had a JIB card stating he was an Electrician he wouldn't be having this issue.
How did you get the NVQ3 without a tech certificate?
Is the NVQ not a combination of the tech cert side and the practical portfolio side?

You would need it for the current 2357 NVQ3. The old 2356 NVQ3 used to be a standalone qual, not many people realise that. If you could evidence working in the industry for 5 years you could either use 2330 L2&3 or do underpinning knowledge assessments. No AM2 either. Took 3 years though so no quicker than tech cert plus NVQ3.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Iq9QXXj3iPmI3Sa7mV7gk

Thanks for your input, and i totally agree. Seems there are mixed opinions, but I'll side with the ones that benefit my situation

It has become so confusing, I have 39 years experience in this industry, 236 parts 1 and 2, obtained in 1983, if I was to apply for a JIB gold card ( think that's what it's called these days) would only get labourer's card.

It has become so confusing, I have 39 years experience in this industry, 236 parts 1 and 2, obtained in 1983, if I was to apply for a JIB gold card ( think that's what it's called these days) would only get labourer's card.

That sort of compliments my opinion that defining what is a electrician is nigh on irrelevent

If I were looking to employ someone to work on electrics I may look no further than someone like 7029 dave,yet because of using paper criteria only, he may not get a look in

I believe if you were to obtain the 18th update, you would get a gold card.
Can’t say for sure, because there are no definites with the JIB/ECS, but if your 2360 was awarded before the NVQ3 was introduced, you should not need the NVQ3.
At least that was the case for me all be it with the 16th update rather than the 18th.

That sort of compliments my opinion that defining what is a electrician is nigh on irrelevent

If I were looking to employ someone to work on electrics I may look no further than someone like 7029 dave,yet because of using paper criteria only, he may not get a look in
Side of the times Des.

Exactly what Spinlondon said...

You'd definitely get a gold electricians card as long as you have either the 17th (til jan) or 18th edition regs.

Reply to Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock