Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Am I going mad? Another pricing question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. keefy

keefy Guest

Doing a partial rewire of a house, not something I normally get involved with, but not beyond ny capability!

The place is a building site so reasonable access, got an extra wiring up a shower in 10mm, I gave the guy a price of £150 to do it and he has kindly suggested £100 to be 'more reasonable' and says, bearing in mind he is in the construction trade, that he normally gets prices of between £80 and £100!

The run is 20M, run through stud work from one end of the house to the other, working on first fix being 1.5hrs spark and mate, 1.5hrs second fix spark, plus commissioning and materials.

Am I mad or is this reasonable? Bearing in mind job has been a pain in the arse (stud walls not built when promised etc...)

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    tellm him to get stuffed. cable alone is £50 -

• Like Like x 1
  3. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

Thats why i dont do new build, the prices are rubbish and your treated like a robbing pikey. Let him have a bill for £100 them slap him with a £50 design charge.

4. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

£100, well cant knock a bloke for trying. Tell him if he can get it done for £80 he`d best get it done by someone else

• Like Like x 1
  5. micknew

micknew Electrician's Arms

Finding that most customers want something for nothing at the moment!

• Like Like x 1
  6. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

That because they will always find someone that will do it for less but don't see they get what they pay for.

7. keefy

keefy Guest

That clarifies it, I'm not going mad. Just need to convince the doctors now...

8. parker56

parker56 Guest

Have to say some people find it better to have £100 in there pocket than sit at home watching day time tv.

9. highspark

highspark Electrician's Arms

And this is what I am finding more and more. I go to quote a job and get looked at as if I am a conman. There is people working for pittence at the minute!

• Like Like x 1
  10. parker56

parker56 Guest

I just think there's alot of people tyring to make a living these days,
    for a lot of people it's better to have some than none.

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

If somebody says they can do it for £80 you can bet that they are not paying for the cable.

12. TaffyDuck

20m of 10mm T/E whats that about £45 + Isolator and pattress £10 + MCB £3 + Sundries £3 assuming no RCBO or new board thats over £60 materials not forgetting an EIC and whatever it costs to notify it. Your saying 4.5 man hours including your mate. £80 -£60 materials = £20 / 4.5 hours = less than minimum wage.

13. parker56

parker56 Guest

Not saying it's right,some people don't care about min wage just as long as they have money coming in to try and pay the bills

14. TaffyDuck

Peanuts and monkies

15. Spazz

Spazz Guest

Tell him £100 and he buys the cable - taking into account your happy with £150.

If he is not happy walk away - but its your profit so up to you