Discuss Am I going mad? Another pricing question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keefy

Doing a partial rewire of a house, not something I normally get involved with, but not beyond ny capability!

The place is a building site so reasonable access, got an extra wiring up a shower in 10mm, I gave the guy a price of £150 to do it and he has kindly suggested £100 to be 'more reasonable' and says, bearing in mind he is in the construction trade, that he normally gets prices of between £80 and £100!

The run is 20M, run through stud work from one end of the house to the other, working on first fix being 1.5hrs spark and mate, 1.5hrs second fix spark, plus commissioning and materials.

Am I mad or is this reasonable? Bearing in mind job has been a pain in the arse (stud walls not built when promised etc...)

20m of 10mm T/E whats that about £45 + Isolator and pattress £10 + MCB £3 + Sundries £3 assuming no RCBO or new board thats over £60 materials not forgetting an EIC and whatever it costs to notify it. Your saying 4.5 man hours including your mate. £80 -£60 materials = £20 / 4.5 hours = less than minimum wage.

Tell him £100 and he buys the cable - taking into account your happy with £150.

If he is not happy walk away - but its your profit so up to you

sounds a fair price to me, I did s 10mm power circuit the other week and that was a 14m run surface clipped to a isolator and i charged £100 for that with no complaints at all

£150 is reasonable. As a standalone job I'd charge nearer £300, but as part of a rewire in a stripped house £150 is about right. It all comes down to how much you need the work and how likely it is he's bluffing about being able to get it done cheaper, if you call his bluff and he keeps using you, you'll never have to negotiate on a price again with him.

tell him to go and get it done cheaper, but you won't sign it off as it's not your work.

Reply to Am I going mad? Another pricing question. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net