Discuss Am I going mad? Another pricing question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stick to your price,you'll find by the time you have job done,between things not being ready in time and problems encountered,
you'll wish you had charged more!!!!!!
Dan

The guy backed down today. Just goes to show, fight for what you believe is right. Cheers guys.

"I can get it done for half that price" is as old as the hills. Well done for sticking to your guns, otherwise it looks like you were just trying it on in the first place.

Hey guys went to a job friday to install a shower, price wise i said £120 plus cert which i thought was ok, but im going to be honest pricing is something i do have trouble with as you dont want the customer to think your a con man, although when i got to the job no spare ways in fuse board, as it is older than gods dog and has turned into a fuse board upgrade :) which ive said £250 to fit and certify, they supply the parts, any tips on pricing up jobs guys ???

Hey guys went to a job friday to install a shower, price wise i said £120 plus cert which i thought was ok, but im going to be honest pricing is something i do have trouble with as you dont want the customer to think your a con man, although when i got to the job no spare ways in fuse board, as it is older than gods dog and has turned into a fuse board upgrade :) which ive said £250 to fit and certify, they supply the parts, any tips on pricing up jobs guys ???
Know your materials and costs! Work out an hourly rate. How long have you been doing electrics?

Not that long this is my first major job to be honest, the guy im working with want to do everything as cheap as chips so it seems, which does tend to be annoying because they have no regards for the regs, for example the fuse board upgrade will mean i have the space to put kitchen and sockets on their own mcb, but they dont want to know about all that they just want it to work, and in regards to doing a cert i will have to pass it off as unsatisfactory due to this and if the wiring is as old as the fuse board you can guarantee when testing it will be crap, also on visual the bonding on gas and water was only like 6mm the whole installation looks really old & i dont want them to think im ripping them off by recomending rewires ?? any advice

oh and also in regards to 10mm t & e its atleast 50 quid so thats why ive said that price and he supplies materials if i had to supply material id have said about £300 but again taking into account wether id be messing around with floor board and what not, as far as im aware the current shower is being spured from a different circuit which is new to me as i didnt think it would even work, i mean even 6mm cable in the osg cannot support a shower if i remember right

I would get a fully skilled experienced electrician in to do a pir/cond. report before you commence any work, who is the guy you are working with ? a sparkie

Martin

You can only recommend mate, you can't force a client to have work done. If something eg bonding needs to be done before you can proceed and the client refuses it it's best to walk away.

You do an EICR. if the installation comes back poor recommend a rewire. If the installation is as bad as it sounds, If I was you i'd put a small sub board in to carry out your work on the shower etc. If you put an new rcd board on the old installtion you could open a can of worms! A re you part P registered. Just come of a short course?

Wel the bonding was to small, and i dont think the house has been touched in years, the chap whos called me in to do the work is a bathroom fitter, yeh i kinda feel like saying look i want to do this right because at the end of the day im putting my name to the cert

oh and also in regards to 10mm t & e its atleast 50 quid so thats why ive said that price and he supplies materials if i had to supply material id have said about £300 but again taking into account wether id be messing around with floor board and what not, as far as im aware the current shower is being spured from a different circuit which is new to me as i didnt think it would even work, i mean even 6mm cable in the osg cannot support a shower if i remember right
Current carrying capacities of cables are easy to get hold of. May be an idea would be to have a read up

ive got an osg its just in the car and cant be arsed to go take a look but the old installation is a mess to be honest id rather rip the lot out and start again for them

well a bit of support wouldnt go a miss rather than insults, i know that a shower cant be spured off a socket thats what im saying , the installation is all wrong, well im going to fit it friday so il let you know what happens

ive got an osg its just in the car and cant be arsed to go take a look but the old installation is a mess to be honest id rather rip the lot out and start again for them

To be honest, you may have some qualifications but I guess you are not very experienced, if any experience at all, when people, builders want to cut corners I just walk away if they dont listen to my advice. as a customer I would expect my electrician not to have to look in the osg as to whether a 6 mm cable would support a shower.

Martin

Reply to Am I going mad? Another pricing question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock