Discuss Am I qualified still? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Darren page

Hi,

I served my JIB apprenticeship in the 1980s and managed to get C&G parts 1,2 and C course 15th edition. I moved on in my career but did go back to college and updated to 16th edition. I've not worked as an electrician since 2000 and wonder whether I'm still qualified? I'm thinking of starting up my own business.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Darren

Hi,

I served my JIB apprenticeship in the 1980s and managed to get C&G parts 1,2 and C course 15th edition. I moved on in my career but did go back to college and updated to 16th edition. I've not worked as an electrician since 2000 and wonder whether I'm still qualified? I'm thinking of starting up my own business.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Darren
Might want to do the 17th Edition update, Inspection and testing courses

what he said^^^^^^. if you're going it on your own, buy the regs. now BS7671 and get up to speed with current standards. then take the 2382 when the 18th ed. comes out. probably next year. you'll need this as a min if you want to join a scam such as nic/elecsa/etc.

oh. and we now have meters with numbers instead of moving needles.:eek:

A once qualified electrician getting unqualified status would be unique Darren,especially when there is no definition of what is a Qualified Electrician

Being recognised as qualified by the people you have dealings with is the only necessity

biggest hurdle will be trying to understand these new-fangled foreign measurements, like millipedes and centipedes. only advantage of this so-called progress is you get 10% more cable on a drum.

In a word technically no, I was in a similar position and as far as both C&G and the schemes were concerned your qualifications would be too far out of date. Having said that all you need to do as stated above is do your 17th edition 2382 and also a current testing qualification (2394) and show two years recent experience to join a scheme . If you cannot show the two years recent work you will need to prove a recent Level 3 qualification such as a L3 2365.

Cheers for the helpful advice so far. I'm only interested in house bashing as I want to get into property development. So I guess as a minimum I need 2382 and testing 2394. Can I do these after I've started work as in progress or must I have the qualifications in place first?

Cheers for the helpful advice so far. I'm only interested in house bashing as I want to get into property development. So I guess as a minimum I need 2382 and testing 2394. Can I do these after I've started work as in progress or must I have the qualifications in place first?
I'm guessing your work will fall under Part P and if so it's usually best to be in a CPS. They each have an initial assessment process and may be slightly different (regs first or just get it in yr1 etc). I came in from the cold and did regs update first.

Again, thanks for the helpful advice.

Thinking about how I want to move forward, would it be reasonable to start advertising my services? I can claim to be JIB approved I guess.

I would progress the 17th edition update and T&I training at the same time. I would also start the ball rolling on registering with hmrc.

I do have other areas of work, but I cannot rely on this for a constant supply work as its only school term time work. I want something for the holiday periods.

Cheers

Reply to Am I qualified still? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net