Discuss AM2 advice needed in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bri8384

Hi Guys long time reader, first time poster

Just took my AM2 this week, was steady enough but I seem to have failed the expensive part being the install but just the the SWA which will mean a a resit on my install part, My problem is I'm not really sure why it could have failed, unless I misunderstood the spec??

Here is what I believe I did and I was wondering if any was able to see the reason I failed??

I used 4 core SWA sleeved brown, black, grey and blue at each end. glands seemed fine, banjo at db and 1.5mm flylead to earth bar, castle nut at isolator again with 1.5mm earth to backbox.

From isolator came out to comando socket in 2.5mm singles brown/black/greay and blue and 1.5mm earth (should this have been 2.5mm?

During testing it all seemed fine so I'm assuming there were no crossovers or cable breaks, cables were clean (ni nicks) I can only assume I have misunderstood something for this to be a fail??

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to head back in not knowing my mistake...

Thanks in advance Bri

Hi Bri I have moved your thread here to the electrical courses section so hopefully the right members see it and can advise you.
Ps welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum, just consider it as a minor setback, the resit will not matter much once you have passed.

4 core SWA usually comes as brown, black, grey and blue cores so they would not need sleeving as they are already in the correct colours, although if you did have all white cores then the sleeving would be necessary.

A castle nut would not be appropriate for the gland, a piranha nit or a gland nut would be correct, though this may be just your use of terminology.

As you were using 4 core cable the armour was being used as the cpc so fly leads need to be sized correctly but 1.5 mm² should be sufficient to meet the adiabatic equation requirements, but if 2.5 mm² was specified this would not be acceptable.

You earthed the back box of the isolator but did you continue the earthing down to the socket, obviously there was an earth core but was it connected?

Was the cable correctly supported at the correct spacing along the run with no excess cable ?
Did you remember to put the gland shrouds on?
Was there lots of armour visible below the bottom of the gland?
Were the glands securely tightened to the boxes and to themselves?

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck for the resit.

Thanks for the replies and in all honesty I believed it was all fine and the spec read 1.5mm, everything was tight and clipped fine in trey so not really sure but lots to think about at least, I'm going to visit the college/am2 centre on Monday, arrange a resit and hopefully squeeze some info out of the iv- kind of hope I've just nipped a core and not seen rather than made misread/misunderstood something, cheers again :)

Hi Guys long time reader, first time poster

Just took my AM2 this week, was steady enough but I seem to have failed the expensive part being the install but just the the SWA which will mean a a resit on my install part, My problem is I'm not really sure why it could have failed, unless I misunderstood the spec??

Here is what I believe I did and I was wondering if any was able to see the reason I failed??

I used 4 core SWA sleeved brown, black, grey and blue at each end. glands seemed fine, banjo at db and 1.5mm flylead to earth bar, castle nut at isolator again with 1.5mm earth to backbox.

From isolator came out to comando socket in 2.5mm singles brown/black/greay and blue and 1.5mm earth (should this have been 2.5mm?

During testing it all seemed fine so I'm assuming there were no crossovers or cable breaks, cables were clean (ni nicks) I can only assume I have misunderstood something for this to be a fail??

Any help would be appreciated as I really don't want to head back in not knowing my mistake...

Thanks in advance Bri
you should have the spec with you for the install.

it will tell you what to install and use including sizes, read it all then takevyour time.

there were a couple bits that they wanted you to install that were a bit unconventional etc.

Had the spec, believed that I understood it and believed all work was to a good standard, was just asking in case there was something silly I had missed out or done wrong, work as a maintainance engineer so most work is fire fighting rather than installs so I could have easily overlooked something I guess

Had the spec, believed that I understood it and believed all work was to a good standard, was just asking in case there was something silly I had missed out or done wrong, work as a maintainance engineer so most work is fire fighting rather than installs so I could have easily overlooked something I guess
with the swa, how exactly did you do it?

banjo in or out? what size flying lead did you use?

Banjo out from db (pre-drilled hole) then piranha nut to inside if isolator. 1.5mm fly leads both ends
did it say what size flying lead to use?

did you put the cables in the right numbered earth terminal and by that i mean doubling up the internal core and armoured fly lead?

Reply to AM2 advice needed in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock