Discuss Am2 courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lacy Wheeler

I'm about to complete my 2365 level 3 and have decided to go on to do the full nvq electrical maintenance, my problem is that I work full time as a maintenance technician with a mechanical bias so I don't get any hands experience with the install side of things so Im thinking I will really struggle with the AM2. My hope is to attend some sort of course that will put me on track to getting through it and the only ones I seem to find online are 1 day courses.
has anybody been in a similar situation or knows of any longer AM2 prep courses?

Thanks in advance

When I finished college back in the 80's one of the college lecturers did a mock test-rig set up in his garage to help people worried about their AM2, he would let you have a trial run for a cost (I never bothered but one of the work lads did), not sure if this still happens anymore but where there's a demand there is usually someone doing similar, I cannot help you locate one but maybe someone will post some info.

the am2 is very little install.

all containment is in place the hardest bit is tywraping an fp and swa to tray lol.

the rest is in dado or conduit.

ask anything about the am2 i did mine recently

the am2 is very little install.

all containment is in place the hardest bit is tywraping an fp and swa to tray lol.

the rest is in dado or conduit.

ask anything about the am2 i did mine recently
Hi mate, ive got my am2 coming up in a couple of weeks just a couple of things i wanted to ask...Do you need to calculate what you need to set the dol motor overload at or is it on the ratings plate?? Whats the online exam like?? i recently passed my 17th edition is it just similar to that??

Hi mate, ive got my am2 coming up in a couple of weeks just a couple of things i wanted to ask...Do you need to calculate what you need to set the dol motor overload at or is it on the ratings plate?? Whats the online exam like?? i recently passed my 17th edition is it just similar to that??
forget about setting the overload, its unlikely there will be one there to set.

the online test is very easy, just flick through the book if you want 100%

Unless it is stated otherwise in paperwork a motor overload on a DOL starter should be set to the running current of the motor as stated on the rating plate.

forget about setting the overload, its unlikely there will be one there to set.

the online test is very easy, just flick through the book if you want 100%

Is the online exam an open book one?

Im just nearing the end of my NVQ and the AM2 is next but it does have me worried as since leaving college 12 months ago ive mostly been doing installs with very little work on cable calcs, testing etc so need to freshen up

Is the online exam an open book one?

Im just nearing the end of my NVQ and the AM2 is next but it does have me worried as since leaving college 12 months ago ive mostly been doing installs with very little work on cable calcs, testing etc so need to freshen up
yes, 20 questions and i doubt you will need to use the book unless you want 100%

thats great, thanks for your help. Probably not as bad as making it out to be lol
i think ii got 19/20 i did check some of my answers in the book and gave up searching for the last question cause i knew i passed that part by then

(i would have passed without the books but that is luck more than anything as the questions are random)

you can all the books so say you get 10 easy questions that still leaves you 40-50mins to find the answers in the book.

if you get questions on building regs its word for word in the book so this makes it quick to search for it

Last edited:
i think ii got 19/20 i did check some of my answers in the book and gave up searching for the last question cause i knew i passed that part by then

(i would have passed without the books but that is luck more than anything as the questions are random)

you can all the books so say you get 10 easy questions that still leaves you 40-50mins to find the answers in the book.

if you get questions on building regs its word for word in the book so this makes it quick to search for it
ideal, did they supply the books or you need to bring your own

Reply to Am2 courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock