Discuss AM2 Exam in a week time any tips or advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thatsgre
I would switch off the isolator but only lock off at the DB.

The RFC had a 32a type b 61009.

The TPN socket just has an MCB (60898)

The spec will show you which protective devices to use and which position in the DB the DB they go. Pay very close attention to the detail of the spec. Assume nothing.

The fault finding was easy enough. You will be given information about a particular circuit and you will have to explain what the fault is (using correct terminology), where the fault exists, and what you would do to rectify it.

7 faults in total. Just remember, terminology.

Earth leakage fault
Short circuit
open circuit

Etc etc....

My heating system fault was an open circuit on the switched Line conductor from the stat to the wiring centre.

Just study how the heating system works and work in a logical sequence until you identify the fault.

Thats great thanks for replying im most nervous about the fault finding on the heating system. Just cant wrap my head around the S plan.

How did you do on the inspection and process part? I got told the assessor doesnt watch over you the whole time but, watched you do a R1+R2 reading and a global IR test on the 3 phase board.

Im hoping to pass first time. Feel like im sitting my driving test all over again

Thatsgre

Thats great thanks for replying im most nervous about the fault finding on the heating system. Just cant wrap my head around the S plan.

How did you do on the inspection and process part? I got told the assessor doesnt watch over you the whole time but, watched you do a R1+R2 reading and a global IR test on the 3 phase board.

Im hoping to pass first time. Feel like im sitting my driving test all over again

The assessor did not really watch me or the other guy much at all. I was left to get on with it, except for the safe isolation procedure.
Some people will say they watch 100% of the testing on initial verification, but they certainly did not on mine. We were both older candidates who hold the 2391, and myself the 2394/5 which may have had something to do with it (possibly).

With the fault finding, once you have identified the fault you then write down what-where, and how to rectify. Tell the assessor and he will switch in the next one and so on.

The assessor did not really watch me or the other guy much at all. I was left to get on with it, except for the safe isolation procedure.
Some people will say they watch 100% of the testing on initial verification, but they certainly did not on mine. We were both older candidates who hold the 2391, and myself the 2394/5 which may have had something to do with it (possibly).

With the fault finding, once you have identified the fault you then write down what-where, and how to rectify. Tell the assessor and he will switch in the next one and so on.

I understand they watch over the safe isolation procedure totally understandable as its very cruical. Ive currently got the 2365 level 2 and level 3 diploma just need this am2 to achieve my nvq/2357. So hoping I pass first time.

I know this might sound like a silly question. But, does anyone know how you label the circuits in the 3 phase and neutral consumer unit as in 3L3 or 1L3 etc and how do you terminate the conductors to there terminals? I have never worked on a three phase board so if anyone has any links for that it would be greatly appreciated! Also would you have to write the phases they are on on the schedule of test results for the am2 as in next to the circuit description? I.e 32 amp ring main rcbo type B on 2L3?

Here's something I knocked up a while ago:

Great and useful document. Should there be a neutral to every point? I'm struggling a bit with this part. Since it is wired in 2 plate the first switch would have the feed and switch wire, then the intermediate would just have 2 3 cores (all line conductors) and end switch would have just a 3 core at it (all line conductors), so no neutral at those two switches.

Surely only the first switch will have a neutral?

Great and useful document. Should there be a neutral to every point? I'm struggling a bit with this part. Since it is wired in 2 plate the first switch would have the feed and switch wire, then the intermediate would just have 2 3 cores (all line conductors) and end switch would have just a 3 core at it (all line conductors), so no neutral at those two switches.

Surely only the first switch will have a neutral?
It's part of the installation design for the AM2, that's how the want it done. It's now good practice to run a neutral to each lighting point to allow the fitment of smart switching devices etc.

Two cores from OCPD to first switch. Line into common and the neutral jointed with the black of the three core. Brown and grey of the three core to L1 & L2 of the switch, same at the far end switch then two cores to your lamp.

CPC omitted for clarity... :D

Thatsgre

Thatsgre

Hello Ryan
I know how you feel mate I have mine booked for 23rd jan am real nervous, I’ve been reading your comments and comments from rest of the sparks their great lads offering their expertise and advise I’m paying full attention to them, there’s a few things that have me worried like the heating plan as I’ve never wired one, plus testing the SWA commando socket, there is other parts of the install am least confident about testing also.

Reply to AM2 Exam in a week time any tips or advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net