• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss AM2 fault finding today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry you missed out on the fault finding.
It is generally just a a matter of understanding the layout and connections of what you are testing and then interpreting the results that do not match what you expect. Good luck for the next one.

Sorry you missed out on the fault finding.
It is generally just a a matter of understanding the layout and connections of what you are testing and then interpreting the results that do not match what you expect. Good luck for the next one.
Cheers appreciate it
I’ve rebooked it but they didn’t give no indication on how many I found or not so a bit stuck really gonna ring Monday see if they could at least tell me how far I was off

Bugger Bradley that is a shame. At least you passed everything else so only need to concentrate on polishing up on the fault finding. It might be worthwhile if you can get hold of a piece of board, old consumer unit, and wire in a 2way lighting circuit, 3 plate lighting circuit, 2 plate lighting circuit, ring main with 3 skts, and a radial circuit. Then introduce different faults onto each circuit 1 at a time and test them. I know it won’t be quite the same as you will know the fault but if you follow the procedures you will get better and more confident ahead of your retake.

Bugger Bradley that is a shame. At least you passed everything else so only need to concentrate on polishing up on the fault finding. It might be worthwhile if you can get hold of a piece of board, old consumer unit, and wire in a 2way lighting circuit, 3 plate lighting circuit, 2 plate lighting circuit, ring main with 3 skts, and a radial circuit. Then introduce different faults onto each circuit 1 at a time and test them. I know it won’t be quite the same as you will know the fault but if you follow the procedures you will get better and more confident ahead of your retake.
Yeah that’s a good idea I’ve booked a day at college to go through some faults on our test rig so that will help a lot I’m gutted just wish they told you how many faults you got or didn’t get that would give me more indication of where I went wrong gonna ring tomorrow to see if they’ll tell me but ohhhhh well next time

Fault finding , is a skill .
Cannot be right all the time .
It's how we learn alternative ways to do same things - like irritating maths / computers.

( It still hurts your pride - when you fail , even when older ....)
Dumb piece of cable -vs- resourceful Human

Fault finding , is a skill .
Cannot be right all the time .
It's how we learn alternative ways to do same things - like irritating maths / computers.

( It still hurts your pride - when you fail , even when older ....)
Dumb piece of cable -vs- resourceful Human
Yeah agree I mean could of been another day and passed it but not to worry I’ll crack it next time

I wouldn't worry too much about not passing. I started fault finding and repairing things when I was 11, and my first job was repairing white goods which I did for 2 years. The fault finding part of the AM2 made me think for a moment, perhaps because I would never fault find the way you have to on the AM2 in real life.

It's not the end of the world as long as you pass the installation and testing ... there the main parts , I failed mine due to not plugging in a little part the was hidden by the motor, and failed my testing for not testing my leads before my installation resistance test!! 2 easy mistakes but still cost me like £400 to redo !!

Reply to AM2 fault finding today in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back