Discuss AM2 general questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
just about to book my AM2 as a final part to get myself approved.

What do I need to brush up on?
I’ve recently bought the regs book even though I know the 18th edition is due in June o_O and have a well thumbed on site guide somewhere, am I right in it being open book on the theory side? Practical install I don’t think I’ll have any issues as I have 15 years experience, just brush up on my heating systems as I’m mainly commercial and industrial, I’m pretty confident with testing too so shouldn’t have issues there either.

Just asking for advice from people that have done it recentlyish as what areas I need to be hot on?

Thanks in advance.

The online part is 30 questions. You are not allowed to take your own books in with you but they do supply you with all the books you will need. If I remember correctly my questions was all pretty easy... "where would you not errect a mobile scaffold" and "what does part P not cover" was just some of my questions but you could be unlucky and get a cable calc one. Had a few on special locations aswell.

And the heating system is easy you have a wiring diagram to follow and it is just simply a dot to dot.

I did mine like 10 years ago, unsure what it’s like now however they were really hot on isolation procedures. Also got brownie points for bending the galv. In one piece without couplers. One domestic spark used three couplers, in places where I thought couplers couldn’t exist!
Good luck and enjoy it! I doubt the heating systems are hard, just follow the diagrams!

Thanks guys, if I have a wiring diagram to follow for heating then I’ll be fine, it’s just been such a long time I don’t know it off by heart as I rarely mess with domestic heating systems, I’ve read a few times that I need to be really careful with the spec too as they try and catch you out?

I didn’t realise I couldn’t bring my own books though doh! I’ll put them in the car just incase, so it doesn’t look too scary then, I’ll just have a swat up over Christmas on some of the harder stuff, thanks guys :)

Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation, Safe isolation...

Did I mention Safe isolation?

The instal is very straight forward. You get given diagrams and information on all circuits and all you have to do is wire them up. A few glands for SWA and SY cable. Remember your fire resistant cable restraints for certain circuits, cough cough.

The heating is also very straight forward you get the diagram and block diagram.

Main thing is safe isolation and correct use of the test equipment when testing.

When it comes to fault finding remember to check a circuit is actually isolated if it has a switching arrangement.

The online test is very simple. There are basic H&S questions and then questions on all parts of BS 7671 as well as a few building regulations questions but nothing to in depth. You get plenty of time to look it up in the books.

Thanks again guys, I wonder if safe isolation plays much of a part in this lol!

I booked it Wednesday and they sent a check sheet with what I’m competent at, ive been working mad hours so haven’t had a chance to look through all the gumph yet but from what I’ve seen it’s got what I need to know on the paperwork.

Thanks lads :)

Thanks for the write up, got day 3 of my AM2 tomorrow and it helped calm my nerves a bit :)

If someone could help me on this question I’d be grateful, I’ve searched online currently have GN3 on my lap and can’t find the answer.

Testing the FP200 circuit, it’s a radial out to a fused spur with the load side going to a carbon monoxide detector on the ceiling, so do i r1 + r2 through the fused spur with the fuse installed or do I link out the live to get the r1+ r2 at the end of the circuit or do I discount the FP leading to the detector? Or atleast give me an idea where to find the relevant information?

Thanks in advance :)

Test the whole circuit. You should be able to remove the sensor to make things easier.

If you only tested part of the circuit how would you confirm it complies?

Test the whole circuit. You should be able to remove the sensor to make things easier.

If you only tested part of the circuit how would you confirm it complies?

I’ve already disconnected the detector ready for IR, I was unsure if my reading would be effected by the 3A fuse in the spur hence my question, as I couldn’t get an answer from online or my books I asked the question on here.

Thanks so far for all the replies and help.

Hopefully tomorrow goes all ok and I’ll know by Monday evening hopefully :) my only weakness is my testing, the rest I’m comfortable with, so once I’m done with testing in the morning and onto fault finding I should feel at ease some more.

If you get some poor R1+R2 readings you can always bypass the fuse. If the assessor is watching you just state the readings are not what you would expect and suspect a dodgy fuse carrier, bypassing this will confirm your suspicions.

TBH most of the accessories used in the centres are mullered and you may well get some odd readings. A good example is the sockets outlets have worn so if you get bad readings using the plugtop connector use the probes off the back of the socket.

Well I thought I’d update, I actually failed first time, I panicked on testing, but the first time round I failed on not writing maximum ZS values down, I just missed it as I verified everything else and I did know where to find maximum ZS values, regardless it was a fail.

So I did my resit two weeks later and even though I panicked again, mainly because what it cost me to resit and fear of failing again, I passed with flying colours, so very glad it’s over with, just waiting for my cert to turn up and then I’ll be registering with the JIB, worst part is first thing I did once getting my results was look at becoming approved lol!

Reply to AM2 general questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net