Discuss AM2 help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've sat my am2 today and got to finish it off tomorrow morning. There's a couple of things niggling me so i was hoping someone might be able to help.

1) 2 way and intermediate lighting: I've put brown tape round the strappers (black & grey) but do I need to put brown tape round the common too? I'm thinking not as its a brown wire anyway. It's just my book said identify switch wire, strappers and common. Seems daft putting brown tape round a brown wire.

2) 3 phase socket: I think I've done this ok in terms of the swa etc. I've put brown, black and grey tape round the singles to identify they are phases going into the socket itself (used 2.5 brown singles x 3). Again though I've put brown tape round the brown phase ( black round phase 2 and so on). Is this brown tape necessary though. Will I get marked down for it?

and most importantly...

3) motor circuit: does the SY cable need a banjo (and an earth single core)crimping on to it when it goes in from the DOL (to the simulated motor)? I've connected the gland ok but not put a banjo and just left it with a lock nut. I'm thinking it needs one but can't find the proof on the Internet. The fact that the SY had 3 cores and an earth threw me a bit. I've just used a wago to connect the SY Earth through to the single core
earth back used to go back to the db

Don't sleeve browns with brown. It would be much like sleeving a grn/yel earth wire with grn/yel sleeving. Daz

I've sat my am2 today and got to finish it off tomorrow morning. There's a couple of things niggling me so i was hoping someone might be able to help.

1) 2 way and intermediate lighting: I've put brown tape round the strappers (black & grey) but do I need to put brown tape round the common too? I'm thinking not as its a brown wire anyway. It's just my book said identify switch wire, strappers and common. Seems daft putting brown tape round a brown wire. you only need to sleeve non-browns if they are L or S/L.

2) 3 phase socket: I think I've done this ok in terms of the swa etc. I've put brown, black and grey tape round the singles to identify they are phases going into the socket itself (used 2.5 brown singles x 3). Again though I've put brown tape round the brown phase ( black round phase 2 and so on). Is this brown tape necessary though. Will I get marked down for it? you sleeve only the ones to black and grey

and most importantly...

3) motor circuit: does the SY cable need a banjo (and an earth single core)crimping on to it when it goes in from the DOL (to the simulated motor)? I've connected the gland ok but not put a banjo and just left it with a lock nut. I'm thinking it needs one but can't find the proof on the Internet. The fact that the SY had 3 cores and an earth threw me a bit. I've just used a wago to connect the SY Earth through to the single core. is it glanded into metal or plastic?
earth back used to go back to the db

cvomments in red

It goes....

db
3 x brown singles & 1 x earth single taped brown, black, grey)
dol (plastic)
sy glanded cable
simulated motor (metal casing back box with metal lid held on by single core earth)

i have connected the single earth from the db to the earth from within the SY cable by using a wago. I'm just not sure if I also need to use a banjo on the SY gland within the dol (therefore having 3 earths going into the wago). if I don't surely the braid is an exposed/extraneous conductive part? Or is there somewhere a link to earth for the gland I'm overlooking?

the braid must be earthed at supply end. if used as a cpc, then earth it both ends.

The braid cannot be used as a CPC.

Why must it be earthed at the supply end?

The braid should be earthed I would have thought. Same as it would be with SWA. Not exposed, but neither is the armour in SWA. Gives a nice path to earth if the cable is severed. Daz

The braid should be earthed I would have thought. Same as it would be with SWA. Not exposed, but neither is the armour in SWA. Gives a nice path to earth if the cable is severed. Daz

Of course it must be earthed, I'm asking why it must be at the supply end?

I'm still not sure what Davesparks was getting at in post #10 - can you clarify Dave? Daz.

Passed!!! Cheers for all of the help people. The assessor said to leave it off in the end as it wasn't required. Wasn't going to argue!

thanks again

Congratulations on passing! Nice one :) . What did he say to leave off? Daz

Reply to AM2 help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net