Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Am2 IR test failed on the global test in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    hi all,

Failed my AM2 on IR test.
    Just a query do you have to remove both the nuetral and the cpc fly lead from RCBO when doing a global test? I did this but I did not put the cpc from the ring final in to the MET bar. I tested the ring circuit, motor and strappers separately. That’s the only thing I didn’t do. Would this be a fail?

2. Ian1981

Ian1981 Electrician's Arms

The cpc of every circuit MUST be connected to the source of earthing during an Insulation resistance test.
    You can’t really do a global test with Rcbo’s

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    my understanding of the fly leads on rcbos is that the fly lead should be removed prior to a IR test unless the manufacturers paperwork that come with them say its okay to do with it connected. Having said that I have oftne tested with it connected with no noticeable impact. In a exam though its by the book. Some of the newer rcbos no longer have the fly lead.

4. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Yeah, I removed the fly leads completely. I just missed putting the cpc from the disconnected ring final from the RCBO. Like I say the only thing I can think I didn’t do. Silly thing to miss and fail on. Get it the next time

5. Baker1988

Baker1988 Electrician's Arms

Why would you disconnect the cpc any way that is not connected into the rcbo just take out the line and neutrals and remove fly leads and sorted i would say.

It is stated all cpc need to be connected when testing ir so dont remove any cpc at all

6. Jakegood

Jakegood EF Member

Business Name:
    No e
    Silly mistake. Sort of thing you do under pressure I suppose?
    I disconnected the ring to test it separately after I had done a global test on the board.