Discuss Am2 - Is this a pass or fail! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John21

Hi all,

Im new this forum.

Im here today to ask a question what is bugging me. I been doing my Sm2 over the past today's. Today I ran out of time to finsh the build, all that wha needed doing was screwing back sockets and switches and p clipping the fp200. All sockets and switches got screwed back when I was doing the testing. Do any of you know if this is a pass or fail.

The assessor came over and said it all needed to be completed and all screwed back. I then did all my tests on my install.

Fingers crossed the assessor was ok. Might get unlucky if he's being picky but if your install is in good order then I wouldn't worry. No one wants to be paying the £600 re-sit just for that lol but I'm sure it's happened

From what i remember there were minors and majors in the AM2 marking. Missing earths wrong polarity etc were MAJORS, seeing as you wouldn't energise a circuit till its been tested i can't see it being an issue.

Also if there is anything that is major i think the assessor is either supposed to make you correct it prior to energising OR make you test on another rig....

Could be wrong though!

Good luck mate, i reckon youl be fine.

Just out of interest, is the AM2 regarded as a decent qualification? I have completed the AM2 but at quite a few job interviews in the past I have had interviewers ask me what it was and what it was for etc. I just got the impression that it wasn't very well recognized.

Just out of interest, is the AM2 regarded as a decent qualification? I have completed the AM2 but at quite a few job interviews in the past I have had interviewers ask me what it was and what it was for etc. I just got the impression that it wasn't very well recognized.

Really? It's the practical exam that along with the NVQ3 concludes the apprenticeship or adult trainee period.

It's widely recognized and valued.

Id did the AM2 over 20yrs ago so yes within the industry its really an exam that all electricians out there should have taken at some point, it the practical exam that proves what you learnt in theory is put to practice in the real world... its not in itself a recognised exam in view of the general public because its a sub section of several exams that give you the recognised status as an qualified Electrician.

I am glad I have got it then, I passed it no problem (which I was over the moon with as I hadn't really done much in the way of industrial work with the company I did my apprentiship with). It was just that with a couple of potential employers not recognising it, and being told it wasn't part of my college course (i had to go to a training centre miles away) and told I didn't have to do it if I didn't want to, I just questioned the weight it held in the industry. But it seems like it was definitely worthwhile.

If the employers dont recognise it just explain to them iits stands for Achievement Measurement which give a practical assessment under exams conditions that the written works you have passed can be used in real terms on site... tell them it shows your competent in the physical side of the job ... anyone that hasn't taken this will not have shown they have the practical skills in the real world..... this should alter their view on the value of the AM2 when employing someone they don't know.

Reply to Am2 - Is this a pass or fail! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net