Discuss AM2 SY cable from DOL starter to motor in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CTRJoe

Hello,
Im half way through my am2 with just the heating and sy motor to do tomorrow,
but I am just wondering about the braided cable.
do I just have 2 pigtails of braid sheathed up with earth sleeving connected to earth in both the starter and the motor?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Why would they choose to wire a motor in SY unless its off a VSD in your training, its DOL so a flexible conduit would have been more suitable the SY braid is for screening hence its use when running off a VSD.

Turning the braid into pigtails is time consuming and rough method the cable should be terminated with suitable SY glands with a tail run off the earth ring or tailed lock nutat both ends but TBH if they are having you do this in the first place I dread to think what they believe is the correct method.

so the braiding normally wraps around between 2 copper ring, and then locked on with a locknut from which an earth gets crimped on via a crimp lug?

tried a youtube search couldn't find anything

Depends on the gland some use a banjo to allow to tail the earth, as a banjo may be difficult to fit motor end then an earthing nut could be used but even these are bulky in small motors if I were to ever twist up and sleeve the braid at the ends I would be heat shrinking a suitable sheath over where the screen exits the sheath to give a pro' looking termination.

Still surprised they have chosen S/Y it explains a lot why I see it been use as a general tough wear cable in the wrong circumstances.

If its in the AM2 then do as you were taught, you must have covered this ground (pardon the pun) if they saw fit to include it in the AM2 - refer to your notes!

to be honest they would complain about the way we terminate sy.

pull the armour back then slip the cable through right next to outer sheath.

simples, bit of earth sheathing, tape and ferrule and bobs your uncle

the screen is to stop interference not really an earth so should be kept seperate

should be 3/4/5 core sy (2/3/4 core and earth)

so wont need flying leed on that side anyway and the vsd will be metalic so wont need one

feel free to correct me if im wrong

They didn't have a "motor" when out last apprentice did an AM2, just a metal box with "motor" terminals in them, they were provided with proper SY glands. The metal box "motor" lid should have some details on it. Don't forget to set the overload in the DOL starter correctly for your motor.

do it at both the dol starter and the pretend motor box?
I pointed the both ends out earlier although the screening only requires connecting to earth so in reality ifnot run of VSD then you would only need to ensure the supply end is earthed but doing both ends is good practice but really rather than ask; the OP needs to see how he was taught as the examiners may be looking for something specific related to their tutoring.

Sorry to hear you failed ... likely under the Exam pressure you missed a step without realising, unfortunately its a strict criteria to passing as its what saves lives on site.

Did you treat it as being live until you had proved it to be dead, were you supposed to use ppe until proven dead?
Were you supposed to do something to prove that the isolator you had locked off was the correct one for your board?

Did you treat it as being live until you had proved it to be dead, were you supposed to use ppe until proven dead?
Were you supposed to do something to prove that the isolator you had locked off was the correct one for your board?

with the motor all I did was lock it off at the isolator prove test prove between L1 L2 L3 E at the motor

Reply to AM2 SY cable from DOL starter to motor in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net