Discuss Ambient temperature for testing and installing cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I know we're not supposed to test when it's below around 4degs, but there's this really vague memory at the back of my mind that says I've read somewhere that you're not supposed to install cable either due to the possibility of damage by cold fractures - - - or is this a figment of my imagination?

if that were true, then there'd be no work done this month.

I was taught not to install cable when it's below zero, but don't know how the cold would actually affect it. If it's tested anyway, don't really see the issue tbh.

It's true, for some cables anyway such as the FP400 I was looking at the other day. It said not to install well flex when it's below 4 degrees...

Im going to take it as all cables, come on lads jobs off, too cold, lets all go home...wahey...

Check with manufactures guidelines .... i install chainflex cables rated to -30c so im ok but dont think my fingers are rated to -30 though!

dont think my fingers are rated to -30 though!

Yeah, I think I was absent on that exam as well.

It's not very sensible to be working standard PVC cable below 0C. Fine with rubber of modified PVC insulated/sheathed cable though!! lol!!

did some armoured for a mate last year and that was horrible in the cold,finished up using a space heater to get the room warm enough before working with it, also it's bad to strip if its outside in this cold seems to make the outer sheath brittle when stripping.

There's a note on this in the OSG - Appendix C, note 2 under Table C1, page 122/123 - it basically says cables may be damaged if installed at temperatures below 0 deg C.

There's a note on this in the OSG - Appendix C, note 2 under Table C1, page 122/123 - it basically says cables may be damaged if installed at temperatures below 0 deg C.

Can't think of the last time I opened the OSG, so that's probably what I'm thinking of.

From the FP200 Data Sheet "Minimum recommended installation temperature 0°C."

I think this applies to just about every common type of cable, we use on a day to day basis

Hi,
I've worked on jobs before where we've had to wait until the temperature rises above 0 deg. The thinking was that PVC sheathed cables could split due to becoming brittle. This was mainly on larger SWA cables being pulled into ducts that you couldn't visually inspect afterwards, even though at the time they tested out OK, but left in a duct there could be water penetration at a later date.

Regards.

did some armoured for a mate last year and that was horrible in the cold,finished up using a space heater to get the room warm enough before working with it, also it's bad to strip if its outside in this cold seems to make the outer sheath brittle when stripping.

Also used Gas space heaters when working with cables in the cold, big armours get harder to work as they become less pliable due to the reduced plasticity and increased bending modulus of the copper.....oh there I go again....

had one split/crack open about 15yr ago 240mm 4c lenght 280mtr long got it half in had to pull a loop off from drum, next day noticed cracked outer sheath got AEI out to repair sheath ( they used gas torch old copper soldering iron and pvc granules melted/fused into crack ) had to wait till temp was above 0 for 24hr to finish pull

Like Benji, I've had large cables split due to the cold.

One advantage of working on kilns and furnaces is I could roll drums under them to warm the cable through.
When I started we were pulling in quite a few old style hesian wrapped PILC. When cold it simply wouldn't bend.

Take a thermometer with you, I like the Tools down bit, but to be honest I have never worked on many 0deg places, only when ive changed outside lights and its a nightmare, so flex and PVC/PVC is like a super hero in the winter LMAO.....never had them split on me yet i should say..

Reply to Ambient temperature for testing and installing cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock