Discuss 'Amd 3" apply to switch fuse in meter cabinet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above, what is the consensus here. If a switch fuse is fitted in an external meter cupboard, does this count as a similar assembly and have to be non combustible?

I've had to do a couple recently and have used the Wylex A3 unit, which is a really nice bit of kit, but its a bit of a beast. Doesn't leave much room for cutout/meter/henley block. Bit of a ballache to be honest.

Have a couple more garden buildings to connect my 3C 16mm2 SWA to shortly. What is everyone else doing?

I'll be switching to metal enclosures. I think its safer to move in that direction.

If it is a switch fuse then I would say it probably is considered a similar assembly even though they are constructed to different standards and usually do not comply with BS EN 61439-3, though they do appear to suddenly meet these requirements(?).
However that said the regulation about non combustible enclosures applies within a domestic premises and you are describing an external meter box so the requirements of that regulation are not applicable.

Taylor - those are the ones I've been fitting. Massive though! Not always easy to fit within a meter box.

Richard - I'm not sure everyone agrees with your last statement. Elecsa told me on my last assessment that enclosures would need to be non combustible if anywhere near a dwelling, i.e. in a position where a fire could spread to the dwelling - even extending to detached garages in very close proximity to the house. This would obviously imply meter boxes would also come under that requirement.

Doesn't matter if Elecsa agrees or not.

Does if you're registered with them, and it all go's pete tong (not saying it would), and the insurance man says what were you thinking!

Incidentally, I emailed Elecsa asking similar question a while back. No reply yet, and they didn't reply to the previous one I sent. Obviously in the too difficult box.

Definitely matters if I show them a job where I've fitted say a KMF in a meter box as nothing else will fit and they want me to change it or they won't allow me to be part of their scam for another year.

Seems it's yet another question that needs proper clarification. I expect they are too busy dreaming up a reason for A1 to the 18th edition.

Richard - I'm not sure everyone agrees with your last statement. Elecsa told me on my last assessment that enclosures would need to be non combustible if anywhere near a dwelling, i.e. in a position where a fire could spread to the dwelling - even extending to detached garages in very close proximity to the house. This would obviously imply meter boxes would also come under that requirement.
I would agree that you should still consider the spread of fire potential and it definitely does apply to inside domestic outbuildings.
However it does state in the guidance note that it applies inside buildings, though if it were a wood panelled outside wall then fire precautions to prevent fire spread to the building would be required.
If Elecsa have made up their own rule about it, in contravention of the regulations, then you are stuck on maintaining their compliance. (annoyingly, as I was also caught out by another made up rule)

If you can prove your works are in compliance, then Elesca or any of the other bodies cannot pull you on it.

Playing devils advocate for a moment, you could argue that a switch fuse isn't a similar assembly, unless a FCU also counts. Obviously we all know that isn't the 'spirit' of the regulation though.

Reply to 'Amd 3" apply to switch fuse in meter cabinet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net