Discuss Amendment 3. Dis Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im currently testing communial lighting etc etc in blocks of flats. If not locked away in meter rooms the distribution boards are generally in a small meter cupboard on the ground floor hallway/stairwell. Now i assume that this is classed as a "commercial" installation and replacement of such dis. boards would not have to be of a non-combustible material as that only applies for domestic?? (Getting a metal board small enough to fit isnt going to happen)

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can get main switch metal enclosures with 2, 4, 6, 8 usable ways. How small do you need them to be ?

Some need be no more than 180mm in height. And main swich with 4 ways would be the max.
What make??
But if this regulation doesnt apply to this type of installation (which i think is correct) its easier/cheaper to fit original plastic boards...

Most decent manufacturers will do small enclosures of both plastic and metal construction of all sizes. A bit of internet searching should get you the info you need.

I do not think that the new regulation would apply to these communal areas but certainly would to the flats themselves.... although you would need to clarify that further yourself.
The new regulation regarding metal enclosures does not come into force until January first anyway.

Out of interest, what's the issue that is making all these enclosures need a replacement ?

It doesn't come in to force until jan 2016 anyway. And why would the plastic CCU need replacing even after jan 2016?

No RCD protection on socket outlets which could be used outdoors. They are old hollow wooden backed Wylex boards. Some are just that poorly installed you can stick your hand in with ease!! Both C2 in my eyes

Working for housing association and we have been spec'd metal clad for 3 months now by the way.

No RCD protection on socket outlets which could be used outdoors...... ....C2 in my eyes.

Any socket in a house could potentially be used outdoors.... Its called an extension lead.... Why C2? You are coming across like one of these nasty people who shout "all for safety" when is just reeks of money....

Any socket in a house could potentially be used outdoors.... Its called an extension lead.... Why C2? You are coming across like one of these nasty people who shout "all for safety" when is just reeks of money....

Any socket in a house is 99% protected by 30mA RCD. Unless specifically for a fridge or what not!!

You was talking about properties that you are checking. Ones that didn't have RCD's.

Yes landlord sockets on the stairwells. Whats stopping dave from flat 21 plugging an extension lead in and cutting his hedge outside??
These sockets should have RCD protection!

So if the circuit is ok but doesn't have a RCD you are going to give it a C2 and recommend that they fork out lots of money to you so that you can give them a new CU "all in the name of safety"?

The regs are not retrospective. If they were then most of the houses in the UK would need ripping apart. Daz

So if the circuit is ok but doesn't have a RCD you are going to give it a C2 and recommend that they fork out lots of money to you so that you can give them a new CU "all in the name of safety"?

No. It is a C2. I get paid salary, C2's are rectified with immediate effect regardless. And we are working off ammendment 3!
My main question is metal or plastic?

I believe that the current guidance in 7671 is that it should be a C3 for no RCD protection on sockets which could be used for equipment outdoors, This is backed up by the sample form in the OSG which has this exact item filled in as an example of how to complete the form!
The simplest soloution if the DB doesn't need changing for other reasons is RCD sockets.

No. It is a C2. I get paid salary, C2's are rectified with immediate effect regardless. And we are working off ammendment 3!
My main question is metal or plastic?

If you are working to amendment 3 already then that's good, but not mandatory just yet. The reg affecting the answer you seek does not also become mandatory until January as has already been stated.

If you are employed and are working to other specifications then this question needs to be to your employer. We can't advise you on what the regs does not yet require you to do, but your employer might.

look at it this way you state its under a stairwell so that could be classed as an escape route, if you were carrying out an inspection and the consumer unit is located on an escape route then it should should be coded as a C3 as its installed under a stairwell which in the event of a fire, could possibly block the escape route, so the answer you are looking for is a consumer unit made of a non combustible material which at the moment is metal ,it may well be January it comes into force for non combustible consumer units but realistically if they are available they should now be installed, as for the RCDs no RCD's on socket outlets is a code 3 , how ever a risk assessment , could possibly render it a code 2 depending on its usage , so risk asses and use a bit of common sense

If you are working to amendment 3 already then that's good, but not mandatory just yet. The reg affecting the answer you seek does not also become mandatory until January as has already been stated.

If you are employed and are working to other specifications then this question needs to be to your employer. We can't advise you on what the regs does not yet require you to do, but your employer might.

True. Already discussed with gaffer was just after others opinions

I believe that the current guidance in 7671 is that it should be a C3 for no RCD protection on sockets which could be used for equipment outdoors, This is backed up by the sample form in the OSG which has this exact item filled in as an example of how to complete the form!
The simplest soloution if the DB doesn't need changing for other reasons is RCD sockets.

NICEIC say C2

Reply to Amendment 3. Dis Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net