Discuss Amount of sockets on a ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markharris

Osg says that a socket circuit's diversity is calculated as 100% of maximum point of utilization,then 40% of remaining points. To me that means the max sockets you can have for a 32a ring would be only be 4 sockets!!!!!
Obviously I am interpreting this info the wrong way, but can anybody explain the rules governing how many sockets you can put on a 32a ring for example?

Ok, but would having six four way extension leads plugged into 3 double sockets so 12
Appliances (computers/printers/Internet hubs) cause a 32a mcb to trip on a 32a ring?

No mate, all IT equipment works on earth leakage, most pc's work on around 3.5mA earth leakage, so put more than about 8 items on any RCD rated at 30mA it will trip, dont forget its not just one circuit on a RCD but many, so even if your little array of extension leads dont eport 30mA add it to other circuits and it may well!

Thanks high tower, so I guess you still have to assess the amount of equipment with the amount of sockets that you will have when designing your circuits, even though it will fall within the 100m floor surface area,and not just have an unlimited amount.

If your designing circuits that carry large amounts of IT equipment you then get into the position of splitting circuits into smaller circuits, with RCBO's and high integrity earthing.

Ok, but would having six four way extension leads plugged into 3 double sockets so 12
Appliances (computers/printers/Internet hubs) cause a 32a mcb to trip on a 32a ring?

Do the maths. Add up the loads, and divide it by 230, if it is less than the rated capacity of the protective device then you are fine. As stated excessive use of extension leads is not good, but at least make sure they have a 13a fuse fitted so as not to overload the point in the ring where it is connected. And i also agree with the comments regarding RCD tripping.

Cheers......Howard

Reply to Amount of sockets on a ring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock