Discuss An appropriate use of the Human Rights Act??????? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I see your one of the blinkered ones that believes the only cost of a BTL is the mortgage, a little bit more research needed on your part I think

A lot of the problem with HMO's is that every council throughout the country has different rules regarding licencing and a lot of HMO's are created to be under the room limit before a licence is needed therefore it can go on under the radar and swamp the local community.
I think all HMO's should be licenced if only to set a safe and livable standard as some I have seen are in a very poor condition and the landlords appear to have very little regard for their tenants welfare

I know that ll's need to pay for upkeep, insurances, endowments, complying with legislation.....but with my Canterbury example the ll is still many £££ ahead...if we are seeing housing as solely an investment vehicle then the Canterbury situation is great. But on a personal level I think housing should be about the populace having a home. I do think governments should move to discourage the thought that housing is anything other than somewhere for people to live....This is just my opinion....This is not jealousy on my part because im old enough to have been born in a "good" time with regards to housing. I do realize that a certain amount of LL haters fall into the envious young bracket......But I do think they have a point.

Last edited:
I think you need to analyse your data a bit more before you post which appears a bit misinformed and misleading.
The legislation that is being challenged does not impact all the of the BTL investor market only the smaller investors yet your wide ranging facts do not highlight or detail this
As with all markets supply and demand is the big driver and the BTL market is no different to any other where speculation is involved, although house prices are not only driven by the BTL market there are other factors such as good schools, employment, access to public transport for commuting, people wanting second homes driving small investors out of the market ain't going to fix the problem of people needing some where to live
The house price to income graph IMO is meaningless unless you consider how the levels of disposable income have changed it is not uncommon now to find young people paying £40 - £50 a month on a must have latest mobile phone and needing their 2 weeks in the sun every year and if they have a car they are no doubt paying a small fortune for insurance which was not the case when I first started driving saving for a deposit is the last thing they are thinking about
Your comment
2.5 million new build properties gone as btl means 2.5 million less people able to buy their own properties, and 2.5 million more people who're therefore stuck as renters because ultimately the BTL market was driving prices way beyond the reach of those who ought to have been buying the properties.
Implies that all these properties where built by small investors and makes no reference to the types of property being built and whether they were suitable for or in areas where those people wanting to buy would buy, really just another case of poor stats distorting the reality
I can't be arsed to go into the details, but the big picture is pretty undeniable.

Vast swathes of UK housing has been bought up by BTL landlords which has pushed house prices up to levels at which it's unaffordable for a large proportion of the population to actually buy a house, particularly when they're having to spend the majority of their wages to pay the inflated rents on the private rented houses / flats they have no choice but to rent.

Or are you arguing that it's a coincidence that the rapid rise in the house price to earnings ratio to way above historic norms coincided with a huge expansion of the buy to let market? When BTL are taking such a big proportion of all houses that are on the market it's bound to have an impact on prices, that's just basic supply and demand economics.

I know that ll's need to pay for upkeep, insurances, endowments, complying with legislation.....but with my Canterbury example the ll is still many £££ ahead...if we are seeing housing as solely an investment vehicle then the Canterbury situation is great. But on a personal level I think housing should be about the populace having a home. I do think governments should move to discourage the thought that housing is anything other than somewhere for people to live....This is just my opinion....This is not jealousy on my part because im old enough to have been born in a "good" time with regards to housing. I do realize that a certain amount of LL haters fall into the envious young bracket......But I do think they have a point.

How do you know how many ££££'s ahead they are
The pension pushers in sharp suits are part of the proliferation of BTL. BTL has become a better pension investment in recent times with people seeing their pension funds eroded by large fund management charges and then smash and grab raids of Gordon Brown a few years ago adding to the pain.

I can't be arsed to go into the details, but the big picture is pretty undeniable.

A very good response to substantiate the p**s poor stats you posted so why carry on

Vast swathes of UK housing has been bought up by BTL landlords which has pushed house prices up to levels at which it's unaffordable for a large proportion of the population to actually buy a house, particularly when they're having to spend the majority of their wages to pay the inflated rents on the private rented houses / flats they have no choice but to rent.

Or are you arguing that it's a coincidence that the rapid rise in the house price to earnings ratio to way above historic norms coincided with a huge expansion of the buy to let market? When BTL are taking such a big proportion of all houses that are on the market it's bound to have an impact on prices, that's just basic supply and demand economics.

I think you really need to go away and look at the facts a little more in depth the small time BTL investor isn't the problem IMO it's the pension funds buying up "vast swathes of housing" as you put it or buying land to build rental only property to fund your pension

I know a few BTL landlords who buy dilapidated properties and refurb them some they sell on at a good profit some they keep for rental but it will be a good few years before they see a return on their investment the bottom line it is a business

I could argue that when FIT payments where at the 40p+ rates the solar pv industry ripped householders off with high equipment and install costs because once the FIT dropped the solar pv prices went rapidly south as well but that is a whole different argument on a similar theme

Reply to An appropriate use of the Human Rights Act??????? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock