Discuss An electric motor can operate at 230V? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

that is a 3 phase motor. it requires 400V 3 phase supply to work in star configuration or 230V 3 phase for delta. it will not run on a single phase supply.

The engine runs at 230V but has a low torque and a higher amperage than it writes on its cover. Instead of 8.5 A it reaches 12.3 A. I do not understand why this happens.
Thank you!

I am a bit confused what voltage are you currently running the motor at, 400v polyphase?

As mentioned above, the 230/400v options refer to the fact it can run with the windings connected in either star or delta formation, it doesn't mean there's an option to run it on single or three phase supply. However the motor is connected it requires a 3-phase supply, connecting it according to your diagram will result in it burning out very quickly.

The only way you can get this motor to run from a single phase 230v supply is to buy a 230v single phase to 3 phase inverter drive.

Incorrect, you can do it. Not how he has shown though. Missing a few capacitors.

I did have a knowledge base thread I had put together for the forum explaining how, unfortunately it seems to have been deleted along with a load of others after the big forum purge a while ago.

I know where it is now, as it was on a couple of other sites, I doubt Dan want me to link to those forums.

Incorrect, you can do it. Not how he has shown though. Missing a few capacitors.

I did have a knowledge base thread I had put together for the forum explaining how, unfortunately it seems to have been deleted along with a load of others after the big forum purge a while ago.

I know where it is now, as it was on a couple of other sites, I doubt Dan want me to link to those forums.

Rob, you are correct, what I should have said is the easiest way! You could also use a rotary converter which is something else I have seen done recently.

I'm guessing the thread in question is the one from 2012 discussing Steinmetz connection schemes. The discussion is still available on the forum for reading but some of the attachments have disappeared.

Here's an explaination for those interested.

I wouldn't normally advocate connecting modern day motors in a Steinmetz arrangement. Old motors were built to very loose tolerances and over-engineered and could withstand extra heat that would be created by running them less electrically efficient, nowadays motors tend to be built to very close tolerances, mostly in the quest for better efficiency and generally won't tolerate connection in Steinmetz if they're running anywhere close to their mechanical loading limit. If the overheating is marginal the bearings usually fail prematurely (weeks or months), if the overheating is accute then the winding insulation fails (minutes or hours).

An electric motor can operate at 230V? upload_2017-6-24_14-35-39 - EletriciansForums.net

Single Phase Power Supply can be used to operate a three phase motor in this two possible ways:

(i) The motor connection shall be in delta and connected as per drawing above with a capacitor.

(ii) Using a VSD with single phase input and three phase output.

Would need to correctly size the capacitor. Also motors running at other than their designed voltages will have problems with current load. IIRC there was something in the states in the 70s when they lowered supply voltages to try and reduce demand which caused a load of problems with motors burning out.

Remember one site which had a crude home-made 1-3ph converter with a load of capacitors, inductances and a pilot motor. Took 20A on startup then you had to switch on a low power demand like a bench drill to get the phases (very) roughly lined up before putting on a heavier load like a reciprocating saw. Blew the incoming fuse more than once but finally got them to get a decent 3ph in to site.

Reply to An electric motor can operate at 230V? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock