Discuss An old newbie forced to change paths in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ged

-
Reaction score
hi guys I hope I can give you a bit of back ground then you'll all see my situation, I ve spent a long while as a motorcycle mechanic ( when I was much younger) I spent ten years as a have 1 driver and I have just spent the last nine years working in social housing, unfortunately I have been finished due to ill health, the lower half of my spine is knackered I can only walk a short distance and I can stand for about 6 or 7 minutes before the pain starts, I am only 51 I have tons of time left so I need to work, I decided PAT testing would be an ok move to make, you can sit whist working and you are not lifting really heavy stuff, I'm going to take my c and g 2377 and try for some work in this field, if anyone has ANYTHING at all to help me in my quest I'm all ears ( it's about the only bit that works properly lol) thanks for allowing me on the site, my names Ged

Welcome Ged, sure there will be some suggestions. I agree with Ruston - PaT testing the whole day is knackering.
I like Vortigerns idea of teaching - what do you have to give to those who need to know. Sorry about the health by the way.

The working in social housing wasn't electrical then. So you are trying to get thoughts for a new career involving no weight bearing. Best bet is to go onto a job search website and perhaps take questionnaire to see what ideas it may give you. Unfortunately everything about electrical work is physical or on your feet.

Hi GED & welcome, have to agree with what's already been said I'm afraid.
For some reason people seem to think that Pat testing isn't physically demanding.
Not so I'm afraid, lots of walking about & bending down.
Often you have to move things such as Washing machines or Computers etc & honestly by the end of an 8 to 10 hour day my back was in agony & I'd be totally exhausted, it's not a fun job by any means.

^^^^
I agree with you. With the proper equipment, stands,lifts etc, you may even be able to cherry pick a few repair jobs that require knowledge and not just brawn too.
You will have a heavier day PAT testing , and for a lot less money.

Reply to An old newbie forced to change paths in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net