Discuss Analog voltage tester? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Could anyone give me a link or tell me were to get an analog voltage tester?

Just want to be prepared for phantom voltage!

Cheers all :smile5:

some nice avo8 models on ebay. or just go for a cheap analog multimeter.

JFGI Steve:)
Google is your friend.

You cheeky sod!! Just googled 'JFGI' thinking it was a link to a analog tester!!

I knew this was a silly question and I do appreciate you not ripping into me too much. I did see many multimeters stating AC 250V but I use my multimeter when I'm fiddling about with the electronics at very, very low DC voltage and I just couldn't get my head around using a multimeter as a mains tester!

I wanted one of those old fashioned looking things you got the other day Tel!

It's not a silly question mate but there are analog multimeters out there for not a massive amount of cash which will do your electronics stuff.
Those old fashioned looking things will cost you unless you hit ebay at the right time and hit lucky
Just keep trying mate, check out Tel's "Bargain" thread for an example.

I use an old Kyoritsu analogue multimeter. It's always been reliable and accurate and I picked it up for next to nothing at a stall on a market. Maybe keep an eye on Gumtree or similar classified advertisements sites, analogue testers aren't fashionable because they don't sync with facebook and instagram so youngsters nowadays won't touch them with a bargepole. If you bide your time and keep your eyes peeled you'll get one for a song.

Trainee???
Yeah, long story but I was hoping to win a prize so I promoted myself to trainee for a while.

The retrofit kit I linked will only work with certain Fluke testers I think. Maybe Megger, Kew and metrel do something similar, but not sure to be honest.

happyhippydad;1013505u[B said:
Yo cheeky sod!! Just googled 'JFGI]' thinking it was a link to a analog tester!!
[/B]
I knew this was a silly question and I do appreciate you not ripping into me too much. I did see many multimeters stating AC 250V but I use my multimeter when I'm fiddling about with the electronics at very, very low DC voltage and I just couldn't get my head around using a multimeter as a mains tester!

Come on Steve even I could work that one out!

some nice avo8 models on ebay. or just go for a cheap analog multimeter.

Beware that many cheap multimeters, analogue and digital, won't comply with GS38 and will be unsafe for testing electrical installations due to the level of potential fault currents and voltage spikes. If all you want to do is prove whether a 230V supply is real or phantom, a test lamp will do just fine:

Drummond Test Lamp Mtl7 150-500 Ac/dc New Without Packaging | eBay

MTL7 DRUMMOND Test Lamp New and sealed. | eBay

I must admit I prefer an old fashioned testmeter for lots of my work, I keep one in my toolbox as I dont always keep the MFT with me ( space)
however i buy a new one every years from my local wholesaler usually about 25 quid with decent leads and to save to bother of calibrating it I either stickit on ebay at 99p or give it away when I get the new one
I still have a couple of older analoque meters and when fault finding on electromechanical equipment or alarm systems I find it easier to work with, but thats just because I am very old

Last edited:
That looks lovely :) I remember some of the old boys in the electronics labs using those... before they all retired. Funnily enough, all the avo's disappeared around that time, too... :)

One of the forum sponsors sells an analogue meter:

Metrix MX-1

... anyone know if it's any good?

Hi Steve,

The link doesn't work, which sponsor is it?

Dont worry, found it... thanks! probably go for a slightly cheaper one though :smile5:

You cheeky sod!! Just googled 'JFGI' thinking it was a link to a analog tester!!

Steve you can't talk about Geordie like that!!

Yeah, long story but I was hoping to win a prize so I promoted myself to trainee for a while.

The retrofit kit I linked will only work with certain Fluke testers I think. Maybe Megger, Kew and metrel do something similar, but not sure to be honest.
well we still need entries in the trainee area lol

Reply to Analog voltage tester? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock