Discuss Analogue Dashboard in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

trailerman

Is there anyone on here able to build me a custom clock set up for my project as its past my capabilities as I dont want a fire best consult an expert, hence why Im asking on here ! Thanks :punk:

My fault for not explaining correctly !
I mean gauges and warning lights rev counter ! its for my project but using all mechanical old skool for a straight 6 diesel mechanical , no ECU

Im not sure Im reading the question right here..

you want to UPSCALE 12v (Volts) to 24v .. if so then NO.
If its 24v to 12v then i guess you could use a Potentional Divider, two Resisters or same value in series.

most vehicles work on 5v dash panels right back to the 70`s, using a voltage reg.....fuel, temp, rev, and indication. Add on clocks such as smiths etc, will be set at 12v for simple installation reasons. But fuel & indication are set on 5v......We need more info, 12v to 24v is possible but more complex, 24v to 12v & 5v is very simple, with regulation. I`ve designed a lot of digital dashes for boats and racing cars, If we get the full spec, I maybe able to draw something up for you.

GREAT ! I really do need help ! Im stuck ............I will post a pic of what I need later today and I will show what I need it for ,and thanks for your time ;)

Problem with the daf dash is that its only part of the system, the ecu controls display and other sensor, you could strip unit down to basic speedometer, rev counter, fuel and temp, but the displays will need external custom cpu made, expensive.

You still haven`t explained car you modifying, engine size, fuel etc

Last edited:
Problem with the daf dash is that its only part of the system, the ecu controls display and other sensor, you could strip unit down to basic speedometer, rev counter, fuel and temp, but the displays will need external custom cpu made, expensive.

You still haven`t explained car you modifying, engine size, fuel etc

I am using the engine too ! but it has no ECU so dont think its driven by one ! Im busy putting engine into Transit van

Ok where getting somewhere....so its a Ford Transit van, what year?.....and daf engine diesel or petrol ? and size of engine?

Tazz ! thanks for your input ! great having an expert keep you right ;)
The van is 54 plate, the engine is Cummins 6bt 5.9L turbo intercooler !
Ive been trying to upload a few pics but Im just not good enough
Anything else feel free to ask ;)

Hi,as it happens,i know the LF very well,and its' many electronic problems...that dash interacts with the ECU,and would be very tricky to bypass,and ensure all the clocks functioned.

A good place to start,would be what senders/sensors have you? I'm guessing the Cummins will have its' own temp(s),oil pressure,alternator tacho feed etc,and the transit will have the original fuel tank sender?

...You could always stick a 2 litre V-4 back in it....worked in the 70's :clap:

Hi,as it happens,i know the LF very well,and its' many electronic problems...that dash interacts with the ECU,and would be very tricky to bypass,and ensure all the clocks functioned.

A good place to start,would be what senders/sensors have you? I'm guessing the Cummins will have its' own temp(s),oil pressure,alternator tacho feed etc,and the transit will have the original fuel tank sender?

...You could always stick a 2 litre V-4 back in it....worked in the 70's :clap:

Hi its not the LF its the FA ! NO ECU like I said !
All the senders are original DAF 24v ones !

Analogue Dashboard {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Hi fella,that dash board you linked to,has fault code and info panels,that means ECU interaction...

Luckily for you,the B series cummins has been in production for years,from 130 to 180+hp,and this means its' various tapped ports,will accept all manner of senders,meaning a simpler way round would be to use an older,say Roadrunner dashboard.

The later Paccar series engines,have all manner of troublesome electronic issues,which are depressing,knowing just how good these engines are...

Have you got access to the dashboard from the engine donor vehicle? ...Without the standard vehicle system in place,you would have to assess each individual guage input requirement,and maybe separate, items "dualled up" within the dash-pod,obviously leaving code and error fault capability,out of it.

Thanks for reply ! yes your right that dash is out the paccar one but only used that for reference sorry ,the one I want to use is very similar only no digital screen ,my fault for using that pic when I should have got the right one, I scrapped the truck I took engine and box out of so I need to get a set of clocks just wanted to know if I could graft them in ;)

Reply to Analogue Dashboard in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock