Discuss ...and I thought Ikea light fittings were bad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all.
Got asked by a customer to change a couple of pendants in his house to something he had bought from Next.

IMG_5145.JPG Nice enough metal twist design. Fragile glass globe shades and you get the shade retention ring tightener for those with chubby fingers.
IMG_5147.jpeg Mounting bracket has holes that match the pendant screw spacing, along with extras.
IMG_5149.JPG The fitting has a rather large connection enclosed in heatshrink, leading to a connector plug.
IMG_5150.JPG The connector is a plug and socket, so that is actually a pro to this fitting. Can do all the terminating without the weight of the fitting pulling the wires out. There is no 4th terminal for a looped live, but that is the norm with these things.
IMG_5151.JPG Barely enough space to fit in the cable, plug/socket, and the cable to the heatshrinked connector. Baring in mind the metal twists are sticking through into this space as well.

All in all, a complete PITA to work on, but I knew what to expect.
A better design would to make the small cables going down the twists to the lampholder a little longer and terminating them in the plug part of the connector - doing away with the heatshrink covered block altogether
If this house was loop-in, there would be no way of fitting 2 or 3 T&E's into the space without some rewiring of the fitting.

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5148.JPG

I have fitted them, found them quite straight forward, trick is to use a wago box above and drop a piece of flex down below. put on all the glass shades afterwards, just dont over tighten them. they look good with warm white lamps in them

I thought I had deleted those 2 other images?

Agree that these were straight forward when you know what to expect from these types of fittings that were designed by a designer and not someone electrically minded.

Awkward to fit the screws through the base onto the bracket with fat thumbs. Same problem with Murdochs nuts. (sorry, couldn't resist saying that!)

Goes without saying fitting the globes afterwards. Wouldn't want to drop and break one of those balls (again!)..

Customer also supplied warm white LED filament style lamps, also from Next.

Anything has to be better than that crappy little 1A connector in a white housing that's so common in light fittings these days.

Nearly sure when I have fitted that light fitting in the past that's what it's had, so this one must be something of an update to it.

What all lighting manufacturers need to do is get a few sparks in to tell them how do design the connections to it, pretty much every light fitting is woefully designed for the end installer. Especially if 3 plate wiring method.

At least it's a Class 1 fitting. The worst ones are the (supposedly) Class 2 fittings, which are metal (usually with integrated LEDs, or sometimes built-in 12V transformer for G4 lamps). They come with a couple of short lengths of sleeving, which you're encouraged to use on the L and N feeds to give them an extra layer of insulation. Which is fine if you've just got a single feed, but not much use if you've got 3-plate with loop in and loop out.

What all lighting manufacturers need to do is get a few sparks in to tell them how do design the connections to it, pretty much every light fitting is woefully designed for the end installer. Especially if 3 plate wiring method.
If they invited sparks in for some advice they’d have to give them a buffet lunch and let them use the toilets and I can’t see that happening when they can just carry on as is! Remember it’s only us that suffer - not the customer!

I've put up 4 Next luminaires in my house (we have a very large Next bill), same connections etc as your luminaire. Binned that connector, and use Wago's inside the fitting (as already suggested). If it was loop in & out, I'd use a Click Flow 102C, in the ceiling void. Jobs a good en.

Get it already to go. Most fiddly bit, is getting the side fixing screws started, magnetic screw driver head helps.

Ooooh. A "luminaire"... aren't you posh.

Just call it as it is... a poxy light fitting.

If it was my own house, I would bin all the junk inside, but as its a customers, any "improvements" on my part might be viewed as tampering by the manufacturer and may invalidate any warranty.

Ooooh. A "luminaire"... aren't you posh.

Just call it as it is... a poxy light fitting.

If it was my own house, I would bin all the junk inside, but as its a customers, any "improvements" on my part might be viewed as tampering by the manufacturer and may invalidate any warranty.

I am from Oxfordshire, don't you know. The seat of learning.

Bet you call lamps, bulbs as well. Invalidate the warranty, wot tosh. What exactly can go wrong with these luminaires that would require a warranty return?

lamps are lamps. bulbs are daffodils

What could go wrong? loose connection at the lampholder? or broken plastic at the lampholder. Seen that before with a homebase "luminaire", but luckily before installing.

cut a 80mm hole in ceiling. fit this, wagos inside. attach fitting. sssssimplessss. :D:D:D:D:D.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/apple...od5xkDMQ#product_additional_details_container

Reply to ...and I thought Ikea light fittings were bad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net