Discuss Angry customer this morning. :-( in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
It ruins my day when a customer turns like this. Is it my communication, or are they just after something for nothing.

I had a call out to check out a shower circuit. A, "shower engineer", whatever that is, told her that the shower kept cutting out because the circuit kept cutting out, but as their shower was giving problems anyway (heater kept resetting whilst I was there) they were going to replace it under warranty.

She called me to check the circuit before they came to fit the new shower.

The circuit was fine all tests good 6mm/32A/3m long circuit/8.5Kw shower, and all connections tight. I hung around for around another 30 mins watching the shower and waiting for it to cut out. The shower reset the heater, lost pressure, re-found pressure, etc, but never once had a problem with the circuit itself.

I told her that as she had me for an hour on her coin, I'd hang around for the full hour and see if we couldn't catch what was happening.

She nearly hit the roof. Pay!!! It's free, your ad says free quotes!!

I tried to explain that troubleshooting a circuit wasn't a quote, but is charged at an hourly rate because by its very nature could take 5 minutes, or could take much longer. I explained that their shower was a simple, short circuit that had only taken 15-20 minutes of testing and that I was willing to use up the rest of the hour trying to make this fault that the, "shower engineer" had told her existed occur.

She wanted me out immediately. Now if she'd been nice about it, I may have just said, sorry for the mis understanding, only an hour (ish) wasted, don't worry about it, keep the customer happy as more work could come in the future. The fact that she went bat crazy with anger made me say, "nope, I'd like paying"

Got a call an hour later saying that she's reported me to trading standards. I gave her my NAPIT details and told her to call them too.

This was a nice house, affluent area. Now my mood is ruined for the day.

Has anybody here ever had anybody mistake, "Free Quotes" for free work, or am I just not communicating correctly? If it's a communication problem, I'd like to fix it, but it's the first time it's happened in two years of being self employed.

just write it off to experience and blacklist the customer. tight-fisted bitch.

It's always the people who have a few quid that don't want to pay or are *removed* about something. Then you get the people who really can't afford it but need it done ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think like Tel says just put this one down to experience. If it was a few hundred pounds that might be different.

I'm having a similar problem at the moment and I think its all about being very clear with what you will be doing and getting as much as possible in writing/e-mail.

I'd move on from this one eNig, just let it go. Napit certainly wont be reprimanding you if everything is as you stated.

Yes, I charged £30 for the hour. She stropped off to the cash point, came back and demanded the invoice.

An hour later I get the, "I've reported you to trading standards" phone call. :-/ As I said, I gave her my NAPIT details and invited her to complain to them too.

It reminds me of when I was working,you'd go to some posh house and be lucky to be offered a drink,go to some little old lady and it'd be lots of drinks,a bit of something for dinner and when you'd finished it was usually "here's an extra tenner love get yourself some smokes".The rich don't get rich by giving it away.

I wouldn't let that go myself, not under those circumstances. Firstly send an invoice on professional company headed paper with terms of payment must be recieved within 7 days of date of invoice. Also ensure you add into your terms that charges of 8% may apply on late payments. Do not under any circumstances write anything in the invoice which may give anyone reading it the impression you are aware of a problem, just send a basic invoice and wait until the 7 days are up. Next after 7 days send another invoice but ensure all writing in it is larger than the standard print from the first invoice and ensure it is in bold red. In the terms and conditions add if this invoice is not paid within 7 working days from the invoice date we will hand it over to a third party for recovery of funds. Now also add the third party costs may well exceed the original invoice amnount.

Back to point one about the original invoice, when you send it make sure you fill in who asked you to attend the address and why you wer asked to go, for example call out to 25 mountain dew london at the request of mrs davis who asked me to test a shower circuit to ensure it was safe to use for a new shower.

Keep it simple but don't let her get away with it, good luck.

Sorry if replies seem slow, I'm still being moderated and hope to make up the required number to prevent this soon. :)

There's another down. Nearly there I'm sure..

Thanks Mod.

I've just clarified the difference between quotes for installation/renovation work and investigating a perceived problem in my FAQ and T&Cs. The next time, I can wave it at them.

It would be a pain to have to present it up front for each small job to prevent this in the future though.

Does anybody get the T&Cs signed before every job no matter how small? It seems a bit much for a simple hour, or so call out job. Maybe I'm just old fashioned and it's the way that things are heading.

I ALWAYS try to give the customer an idea of price before I begin work or even better give them an idea of your hourly rate during the initial enquiry. I can't see how she think this is a quote, you were in her property working....does she thin you spent an hour their because you were bored? Silly cow

Well, I think when these last few posts are approved, my moderation limit will be reached and I can post replies without having to wait and watch the conversation evolve without me. :willy_nilly:

It ruins my day when a customer turns like this. Is it my communication, or are they just after something for nothing.

I had a call out to check out a shower circuit. A, "shower engineer", whatever that is, told her that the shower kept cutting out because the circuit kept cutting out, but as their shower was giving problems anyway (heater kept resetting whilst I was there) they were going to replace it under warranty.

She called me to check the circuit before they came to fit the new shower.

The circuit was fine all tests good 6mm/32A/3m long circuit/8.5Kw shower, and all connections tight. I hung around for around another 30 mins watching the shower and waiting for it to cut out. The shower reset the heater, lost pressure, re-found pressure, etc, but never once had a problem with the circuit itself.

I told her that as she had me for an hour on her coin, I'd hang around for the full hour and see if we couldn't catch what was happening.

She nearly hit the roof. Pay!!! It's free, your ad says free quotes!!

I tried to explain that troubleshooting a circuit wasn't a quote, but is charged at an hourly rate because by its very nature could take 5 minutes, or could take much longer. I explained that their shower was a simple, short circuit that had only taken 15-20 minutes of testing and that I was willing to use up the rest of the hour trying to make this fault that the, "shower engineer" had told her existed occur.

She wanted me out immediately. Now if she'd been nice about it, I may have just said, sorry for the mis understanding, only an hour (ish) wasted, don't worry about it, keep the customer happy as more work could come in the future. The fact that she went bat **** crazy with anger made me say, "nope, I'd like paying"

Got a call an hour later saying that she's reported me to trading standards. I gave her my NAPIT details and told her to call them too.

This was a nice house, affluent area. Now my mood is ruined for the day.

Has anybody here ever had anybody mistake, "Free Quotes" for free work, or am I just not communicating correctly? If it's a communication problem, I'd like to fix it, but it's the first time it's happened in two years of being self employed.

Been there a few times mate!!!, any new customers especially ones calling you from an ad, always explain your prices before you even take their details

i keep messing this one up as well, especialy fault finding some expect you to get all all your testers out etc spend all day finding the fault so they can get a mate to fix it for free.
i am trying to get into habit of a signed invoice even for the penny jobs as getting stung more and more after agreed price.
there are bad tradesmen out there but even more criminal customers.

I wonder what her husband does for a living, I also wonder if he would like to spend an hour of his time at your house providing his services for free?
No, I didn't think so.
Probably a solicitor that would charge you £80 for a mere letter or £40 a phone call. Funny how people accept those sort of prices for next to naff all in return.

Reply to Angry customer this morning. :-( in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net