Discuss Annual emergency lighting test in part disused building in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all i was hoping for some advice, I am carrying out an annual emergency lighting test tomorrow in a hotel. Part of the hotel is no longer in use and all supplies have been locked off. Should this part of the building still have emergency lighting in place in case emergency services need access ?

Emergency lighting isn't for the Emergency Services, it's to assist occupants in their escape.
Unless the escape route passes through the disused building.

Has access been locked off to the disused part?

I would imagine that as long as that part of the building is designated as a hotel by planning and building control then it should have emergency lighting if it's in use or not. Either get change of use permission or comply with the Regs. What if in six month it opens up again?

I would get the supply back on and check it. What happens after that is up to them.

Alternately, state clearly in your report what you have tested and the part that you did not have access to.

I would expect the use or non use of the building and its designation is nothing to concern you,the owner and the council have that responsibility

Given my opinion on that,test what you are told to test,if its included and expected by the owner then it gets done as if it was in use by customers
If he declares it locked off,then as far as your concerned at the time of test it does not exist

Reply to Annual emergency lighting test in part disused building in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net