Discuss Annual NIC visit this week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 93172

Well the dreaded day came this week with my annual visit, all was going along nicely, paper work in order, meters all calibrated, regs book and other guidance notes in place etc.
Then when he asked to see my completed certificates and what installations we are going to see, it all fell apart at the seams.
This past year I have mainly helped my mate, and been suffering ill health, so needless to say the jobs of my own that I could of showed him were no good due to customers being away either working or on holiday.
So with all good intentions I thought he would like to see a job in progress, which was a large empty rewire with a massive new extension being built, thinking he might like to see the standard of the works ie drilling zones, cable runs and general good working practices. But because it only had a temp builders supply with earth electrode this was not sufficient enough to visit, well FFS I now have to pay a further cost for a re visit on a completed job even if its just a new radial circuit plus certificate so that he can witness a test.:mad:

Well I tell you what, why don't you just tell them they can shove their re-visit payment or you will go to another scheme? You could join Stroma (no I have no connection!) for half what NIC charge. I had my assessment earlier in the year and the bloke was fantastic, as soon as he realised he was not dealing with a numpty he just used his common sense. I can't understand why people still pay out for the NIC unless they work for councils or the like who insist on it? You only join one anyway so you can self certify whats the difference??

Well I tell you what, why don't you just tell them they can shove their re-visit payment or you will go to another scheme? You could join Stroma (no I have no connection!) for half what NIC charge. I had my assessment earlier in the year and the bloke was fantastic, as soon as he realised he was not dealing with a numpty he just used his common sense. I can't understand why people still pay out for the NIC unless they work for councils or the like who insist on it? You only join one anyway so you can self certify whats the difference??
Totally agree the NIC seems to be the only scheme who Want to catch you out whilst charging for the privilege.

To be fair to your assessor how did you expect him to assess you when you had no work for him to assess you on? Shouldn't you have had 3 jobs lined with completed certs for him to look at? Every one would soon be slating them even more if he had passed you with no assessment of the required amount of jobs. I'm not sure why they get such a kicking TBH...The cost of being with a CPS shouldn't be hitting your pocket directly as the cost should be passed on to your customers. Being a NICEIC AC will cost about £8 a week which should be included in your hourly/day rate just like any other business related overhead.

Last edited:
I agree with @Leesparkykent if you havent got 3 completed jobs in a YEAR ready for assesment then i dont think you should be registered with NICEIC, maybe a drop down to stroma/napit would be a wise move, this is ment too be THE top self certification scheme and should only be taking on the TOP of the market sparks.! You come on here for a whinj where you are clearly not in continuos electrical work, i for one am glad you are getting a revisit and hope the NICEIC see this msg and start raising the bar again, i hope you dont take this personslly but wish to see high UK standards kept. I went to the ELEX show coventry and in speaking to a NICEIC member he said no1 fails the assesment at worst you get a revisit! I was appauled!! :(

I think there are several issues with the schemes and all have made good points including the OP. I'm registered with Elecsa as an approved contractor. I limit myself to domestic work, as I feel that defines my capability, whereas I note that NIC have DI & AC, perhaps a more sensible approach. I have always find it strange that the main focus of my annual assessment, is my testing abilities, which surely year on year can only improve. I have never had my installation work assessed, except this year where a integral garage was part of the installation. So I agree with the OP, if for the last few years my testing procedures were exemplary, then an opportunity was made available to assess my installation work, why not? Seems the assessors have to strictly adhere to the tick box forms on their IPad's, without room for some lateral thinking.

That said, I agree with having 2 or 3 installations available to inspect (that's Elecsa's requirement). Which in the domestic world is no mean feat, some customers will not allow trades persons into their house without them being present, and I had one ask 'what's in it for me', didn't bother to use them. Cost me a fortune in bunches of flowers!

The fees and re visit fees are disproportionally applied across the industry, it doesn't seem to matter if you are a sole trader or larger company, the price is the same.

:)Nothing said has been taken personally, agree with all points made, standards are to be kept or even made higher. Being a sole trader if you can help your mates when they are under pressure or visa versa we all rally round, sometimes as in this case to my own costs.
Have a nice weekend guys

Reply to Annual NIC visit this week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net