Discuss Another Economy 7 question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Judd

-
Reaction score
Morning All, its a lovely day, hopefully I won't have to get in any lofts on a day like today.
Just a quick one regarding economy 7,
Where the meter provides two outputs, during off peak hours, what happens to the (main board) as in the general daytime DB, does this also switch over or does it just constantly run at the higher rate even through the night?
The reason I ask is I've been doing some communal work at a block of flats and several of the tenants have approached me asking about their hot water complaining that there setup doesn't supply them with sufficient hot water and that it's also costing them a fortune,
Setup is dual elements controlled by horstmann timeclocks with boost facility. To get hot water none of them are using the timer, just the boost setting. Some off them have dual tariff meters but with no teleswitch and others have newer meters with two outputs but no secondary boards.
My suspicion is that they're all running at peak rates constantly that's why it's costing them a fortune.
Thanks

There are a variety of metering options here,with various suppliers,opting to only offer dual rates via means that may be incompatible,with existing set-ups...
...This does not always mean they just don't fit unsuitable is metering,anyway.

It can lead to some cylinders with dual immersions,requiring separate main switches and fuses being attended to,to enable full isolation.

It is also worth remembering,that either from the start,or as a common feature,certain properties which used dual,time-clock metered cheaper rate electricity,sometimes had a single socket,which was supplied from the heating circuit.
Probably when the hoover was the second highest draw,after the kettle...

These sockets,usually on the landing,sometimes get linked in to the ring,by the careless,or even,in one instance,had a "boost" switch,to power it up from the RFC ,when not on the time-clock.

This can obviously cause a very dangerous situation,if your isolation on one particular circuit,is not upstream enough :eek:

Only a bit of interest,but it could save a coroner,from filling in an inquest summary "cause of death was super-saver-seven" ;)

Economy 7 will be out the door soon when the majority go to electric vehicles and they all need charging overnight for work the next day.

Why would energy companies reduce their tariffs when there is a higher demand on the grid at night than normal they will want to milk that cow.

"Economy 7 is an energy plan, officially known as a 'differential tariff', that can help you pay less for your electricity. Basically, you pay normal prices during the day, but cheaper rates for sevenhours during the night. The difference in cost may be up to 50%, depending on your electricity supplier." Off *iki

Electric vehicles all charging at the same time. The national grid stretched to the limit. More power stations needed.
Hmmm, maybe petrol and diesel fuelled power stations?

I'm going to invent a wind-turbine powered helicopter.:confused:

Electric vehicles all charging at the same time. The national grid stretched to the limit. More power stations needed.
Hmmm, maybe petrol and diesel fuelled power stations?

I'm going to invent a wind-turbine powered helicopter.:confused:

easy. the copter already has the blades fitted. all you need to do is to figure out how it can fly when there's no wind.

Reply to Another Economy 7 question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net