Discuss Another good example why R1+R2 isn't equal to Zs-Ze. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Be warned it you are tempted by shortuts. I know in domestic work on old houses, we often have a race against the clock, and it can get stressful and sometimes very difficult, but some cut corners could bite.
I have just fixed errors left behind by NIC member who fitted new 17th ed'n consumer unit a couple of years ago. TN-S install.
Table of results taped neatly next to CU, all the labels in place, looks good.
It turns out that lighting R1+R2 were fabricated, presumably from Zs-Ze.
Half the house lighting had open circuit CPC, neatly hidden by a perfect N-E short on the far side of the break. "Zs" values throughout all the fittings were believable, (but not really Zs anyway since no CPC). Very obvious with proper R1+R2, or even with NE IR test done at at far end. (All IR of course was good at consumer unit)
The error included all the lighting throughout a large flat roof extension and bathroom. All class1 light fittings.

If a 17th edition board with RCD all circuits then surely the N-E short would have caused the RCD to trip from day one?
Not if the CPC were broken in one concealed JB, and immediately off the same JB a builder had left an un-terminated spur with NE short! (No CPC so the RCD doesn't see this part of the house at all). "Zs", meanwhile gives a very believable live reading first via the unconnected part of the CPC, then via neutral.

Not generally necessary to carry out an R1+R2 test when changing a CU, that test is really for initial verification of a new circuit prior to energising, in the case of CU change it's already been energised. The Zs tests will verify disconnection times are met and cpc continuity to the furthest point on the circuit.

Not if the CPC were broken in one concealed JB, and immediately off the same JB a builder had left an un-terminated spur with NE short! (No CPC so the RCD doesn't see this part of the house at all). "Zs", meanwhile gives a very believable live reading first via the unconnected part of the CPC, then via neutral.
Yes realise this now, been a long day and engaging my typing finger before my brain.:6:

Reply to Another good example why R1+R2 isn't equal to Zs-Ze. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock