Discuss Another Part P Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

Bit of background before I jump into the query to try

I'm a qualified electrician by trade, completed my apprenticeship with a large commercial contractor through 2007-2011 and worked as a subcontractor, for around a year, before being fortunate enough to jump into a design office in 2012. No test and inspect qualification- only the test and inspection experience was site experience assisting the testing team for about a year around different jobs, and during college/AM2/logbook evidence witnessing in my final year.

Six years on and I'm a year away from completing a Building Services degree and I'm designing large commercial schemes for a reasonably sized M&E contractor, so exposed to 7671 and other BS's on a daily basis. I'm booked in to do my 18th edition in September, completed my H&S test, and waiting to submit my application to renew my ECS (for site visits and the like).

Having kept my hands fairly clean on the installation side of things, doing very few jobs for family (such as fault finding and isolation/making safe etc), I'm gearing up to rewire a house my partner and I have just bought. The installation dates back to the 70's/80's, aside from a PV install in 2011.

I'm running around in circles on the web with the best way to approach this in order to do it by the book, in line with building control and Part P.

It's a rewire, and new consumer unit, so I'm in no doubt of the need notification and 'sign off' (hate that phrase) in line with Part P.

The way I'm understanding it, my competency is what it is - my qualifications and experience; and I'm more than confident I can tackle the install and design to the big blue book.

My query comes to the understanding of what is required in the domestic environment and certification - can I provide myself/the house with a green NICEIC certificate, from their website, tested by me using relevant calibrated test equipment (borrowed from my employer)?

To satisfy Part P and building control I understand I'd notify before work commences, allow them to inspect/visit before any walls are closed/cable ways covered, and provide them with the certification once completed.

Sound about right?

Thanks for reading, from a long-time lurker!

Dan

To satisfy Part P and building control I understand I'd notify before work commences, allow them to inspect/visit before any walls are closed/cable ways covered, and provide them with the certification once completed
welcome dan ,in order for you to do that I it will cost you for them to send their electrician to inspect before hand and test the full system when completed . for them to register the work .you can not give them any test certs .because your are not registered with any scheme ..

Hi Dan and Welcome to the Forum. Agree with @Murdoch, then you'll know what they want and what it will cost. The value of CPS membership is you get to sidestep all that and replace it with other loops and hoops.

Probably best to call bco and clarify it with them

They can be a law unto themselves

Hi Murdoch, yes agreed, looks like this is the way to go to see what my options are. Fingers crossed they got out of bed on the correct side, or having a fairly decent week upto the point I speak to them.

Hi Dan and Welcome to the Forum. Agree with @Murdoch, then you'll know what they want and what it will cost. The value of CPS membership is you get to sidestep all that and replace it with other loops and hoops.

Hi Wilko, I did look into various schemes, but for what I'd need to do vs. what I'd get from it I'd put it out of my mind. Something to consider if I ever get asked to do any more substantial work for others perhaps.

welcome dan ,in order for you to do that I it will cost you for them to send their electrician to inspect before hand and test the full system when completed . for them to register the work .you can not give them any test certs .because your are not registered with any scheme ..

considering you employed by some body ,their insurance does not cover you to rewire your own property .

Hi Buzz. Frustrating, as it's seeming that without joining a CPS scheme the gold card and JIB membership/qualifications mean zip as an installer if BC are required to effectively babysit an installer through another contractor. Flip side is it prevents poor workmanship and unsafe installs - following Grenfell you can completely understand. That's another story...

Appreciate the fact their insurance doesn't cover me - it was more to demonstrate correctly performing equipment.

Looks like i'll be contacting the local BCO to confirm!

A good friend of mine does work for himself, I have considered asking him if he would inspect, wouldn't want the liability placed on him if anything disastrous were to happen though, that being said there are up to 3 different signatures on test certs.

Thanks everyone for the steer and time taken to reply, it is appreciated

The third party certification scheme sounds as though it would be perfect for you. Go to the Stroma or Napit websites and look for a person local to you who is part of the scheme.

Some one posted this link sometime back to an IET Electrician Competence Recognition guide for LBC.

There's a download for IET-BCA Guidance document. Never tried myself, and posted link in a couple similar threads, no one posted it was of any use, but who knows :)

Electrician Competence Recognition - The IET - https://www.------.org/policy/collaboration/sa4e/index.cfm?

The third party certification scheme sounds as though it would be perfect for you. Go to the Stroma or Napit websites and look for a person local to you who is part of the scheme.
if the sh88t hits the fan .and the house burns down will the contractors insurance pick up the bill !because he has signed of the work .me don't think so .

It’s the OPs own house, he can do what he wants, as long as he complies with building regs. Can’t see he would invalidate any insurance as he appears competent enough. Just the issue with inspection & testing qualification, which his colleagues seems qualified?

Raise that issue with LBC the various ways that have been suggested. Don’t see that he needs to join any scheme to rewire his own house.

Reply to Another Part P Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net