Discuss Another 'which code for EICR'.. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I realise coding for EICR's can be quite judgemental and theres quite a few discussions on them but I was hoping for a bit of reassurance/advice with the following (I have not yet written the report):

1. I feel this would be a C2, my reasoning is that its a great big hole with live conductors visible?

JB1.jpg JB2.jpg

2. C2 as live parts visible on 230V side of transformer and just taped up:

Transformer.jpg

3. Broken part on MCB.. C2? I feel less certain about this one. The MCB functions.

Inside CU2.jpg

4. Main Bonding disconnected to gas.. C2.. All gas pipes tested for continuity to MET and all had continuity.

bonding outside gas.jpg

5. Main bonding not found for incoming water although water pipes showing continuity to MET. Only 1 bonding conductor in MET (10mm). The only 10mm in the house I could find was the one in the second picture bonding this random pipe in the house and then disappearing into the wall. Really not sure what to code this? The main bonding should be within 600mm and its easily accessible to do this, however the incoming pipe is plastic, but then immediately copper once in the property.

Incoming water.jpg bonding inside.jpg

6. The consumer unit is absolutely packed and coated with dirt/plaster dust and I can hear it in the RCD and MCB mechanisms as I switch them (all functional though... for now!) Also getting poor IR results on L-E when conductors are all connected and MCB closed (0.08MΩ). When MCB's open (individually)this increases to over 10MΩ for all circuits, so perhaps plaster/grime etc making connection from busbar to E? 'Further investigation and/or consumer unit change C3 (maybe C2)

Inside CU.jpg

Sorry for this lengthy one, I've done a handful of EICR's and have felt confident with the coding so far but not so much with this one!!

Attachments

• MCB.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Incoming water.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 62
  • bonding inside.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
i'd tend to agree with your codings there. maybe a C2 for the crap in the CU as you have no way of determining if the operation of the MCBs on overload is compromised by the grit etc.

depending on where the location of the transformer is its boarder line C1 for me, exposed fuse , hate those qoe boards exploding rcbo's Roy pope dilys fron dirion 005.jpg all i did was press the test button and this happened C2 on them if they dont trip with my tester lol

I do like the way you spot these things.

I'm guessing you don't charge £50 for an in and out report. lol

No.. Just a bit more than that Murdoch :smiley2: (this one was £150), but I was there for 7 hours (plus another 2 writing up the report and covering letter with quotes). This particular house was extremely messy!

It looks like the 10mm loops at 'random pipe' and perhaps continues to disconnected gas clamp. Was thinking C3 for JB until I realised it's under the units!

It looks like the 10mm loops at 'random pipe' and perhaps continues to disconnected gas clamp. Was thinking C3 for JB until I realised it's under the units!

Just about to ask where the jb was

Sorry, should have been more clear. Both the transformer and JB are on top of the kitchen cabinets, with lots of junk stored around them.

C2 for potential danger in my book, leaning towards a C1 if customer is likely to be poking around up there.

Do you not use a software package to do this for you?

No I dont, I only do around 1 every couple of months. If I start doing more I would look at a software package to speed things up as I do take a while getting all the paperwork together.

That may be the case, but somehwere along the line it may be connected to the water as well (as only one main bond in MET), but I cant be certain of that. I will code the disconnected gas bonding as a C2 and I think the 'unfound' water bonding as 'further investigation', as it may or may not be connected to the MET by a 10mm.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm glad I was pretty much on the right lines.

No I dont, I only do around 1 every couple of months. If I start doing more I would look at a software package to speed things up as I do take a while getting all the paperwork together.

Do you do all your certs by hand? I too, only do the odd EICR but the time saving are from all the EIC's and MWC's

Do you do all your certs by hand? I too, only do the odd EICR but the time saving are from all the EIC's and MWC's

Yes, all by hand Murdoch.. It does take a while! What is the name of the software package you use?

Gosh.. I'm going to be all technologically advanced soon! Tazz is (very kindly) helping me with using excel for quoting and now the computer to fill out certs too!

Yes, all by hand Murdoch.. It does take a while! What is the name of the software package you use?

Gosh.. I'm going to be all technologically advanced soon! Tazz is (very kindly) helping me with using excel for quoting and now the computer to fill out certs too!

I use PIRform

PM me an email address and I'll send you some samples FYI

What would you guys do about the Main boding for the water then?

I had decided on 'further investigation', but if the incoming pipe is plastic does it need to have a main bond? I have tested the copper immediately after the plastic and somewhere along the line it is connected to the MET (approx 0.5Ω).

If the incomer was metal I would say I have to search more for the 10mm or run a new 10mm but it is plastic?

Reply to Another 'which code for EICR'.. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net