Discuss Antoher domestic question. Can I just grind out a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Inteificio

Hi,

Need to get power across a wall in a domestic.

Would not be an issue apart from the wall is poorly finished and ancient.
It is wobbly and badly plastered.

Client suggested minitrunking.

I think that will look **** as the wall is not level.

I am fitting RCDs so thinking just grinding out a small slot sticking wire in and filling.

Regs seems to suggest that is fine, but just seems wrong to me.

Anyone more experienced in domestic have anything to add (that would be almost everyone here ;-) )

as long as the cable is in a prescribed zone relative to accessoriy/s then chase it in.

I knew you could chase it, but was wondering what the issues might be.

The dust....had not thought about the dust!

Good tip on thin disk. I was going to use a wide one and do the whole chase in one sweep. That would have been a fail!!!

The dust is without doubt the worst thing about chasing...

Seal up every inch of that room before you start and let the dust settle for a good 10 minutes before you open the door or you'll be a very unpopular man!

Unless you have a good dust extraction system I would advise you not to use a grinder in an occupied room , it will take longer to clean up than to do it by hand. The dust will be horrendous especially if lime is involved.

Or hire/borrow a wll chaser and vac. Will still be dust but not as much.

Like the idea of wetting dowm, the place would be covered in plaster slurry and the floor would be swimming lol

Thanks guys.

I now have enough info to got to the client and ask what he wants!

Not feeling that the trunking is such a bad idea now, they have a baby on the way.

just thought. you said the wall was wobbly. not lath and plaster, is it? if so, don't even try and chase it.

Hi,

Need to get power across a wall in a domestic.

Would not be an issue apart from the wall is poorly finished and ancient.
It is wobbly and badly plastered.

Client suggested minitrunking.

I think that will look **** as the wall is not level.

I am fitting RCDs so thinking just grinding out a small slot sticking wire in and filling.

Regs seems to suggest that is fine, but just seems wrong to me.

Anyone more experienced in domestic have anything to add (that would be almost everyone here ;-) )
obvious one n all here fella....just be sure theres no other cables (power or otherwise) in them walls your proposing to chase first wont you....

Reply to Antoher domestic question. Can I just grind out a wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net