Discuss Any advice on LED MR16's? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all..

Just brushing up on my knowledge of LED's and getting to grips with Lumens/lux, SMD, angle etc etc etc....

What is your experience of LED MR16's? In particular I wanted to know if it was worth fitting them? One of the main reasons for buying an LED is the length of time it is going to last but if there is another part that is going to become faulty in the meantime (i.e the transformer) is there any point in fitting them? Would it be better to spend a bit more time and change them over to GU10 LED?

Cheers chaps..

Limited experience on LED's but I would certainly go for GU10 fittings.

We are currently trailing the fluorescent fittings at work. Managed to blow 3 of them seeing if they were dimmable..

Hi,

There are dimmable GU10 LED's on the market they cost a few quid more. If you are considering changing to LED's from a power usage as well as a longevity point of view then my personal preference would be to remove the transformers and change the holders to take gu10's.

If you're thinking of dimmable LEDs check through the forum, there's been quite a bit of talk about the problems of LEDs and dimmers. Basically, some dimmers work with some dimmable LED lamps.

PJ

If you're thinking of dimmable LEDs check through the forum, there's been quite a bit of talk about the problems of LEDs and dimmers. Basically, some dimmers work with some dimmable LED lamps.

PJ

Good point, well made...

all dimmers have a "workable range", a minimum and maximum wattage. Add up all your LED's and make sure that the dimmer minimum is less than your total. when I changed all my spots in teh living room I had to buy a new dimmer...varilight from memory.

I just looked at changing some 12V lights to LED as requested by the customer. Changing the transformer and supplying an MR16 lamp to keep the same fittings actually worked out costlier than fitting new sealed unit LED mains voltage fittings. So it's plan B.

Cheers all, will have a look at the lights over the next few weeks and see what type of transformer is already on them, but will probably change for GU10!

Have been told these are pretty good, work with a large range of transformers.

Dont know where to buy them, it was a hotel maintenance guy that showed me them.

uma9yza5.jpg
2emaqynu.jpg

dunno what you mean by arms. i meant the lamp holders, not the fittings, unless the fittings will not accept GU10s, of course.

Reply to Any advice on LED MR16's? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net