Discuss Any Golfers Out There? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I play once a week weather permitting, played the first round of the year today and it was rubbish. The wind picked up to about 30mph and spoiled the day. Although I hit a 325 yard drive with the wind behind me :rofl:

So to get the ball rolling so to say,

What do you play off? (and dont say a Tee lol)
What clubs do you have?
What ball do you use?
Any hints or tips?
Where do you play and post up a web link to the course.
Recommend a course and give reviews on others you have played. I suggest you have a look at this place place, Aldwalk Manor York

Golf Breaks York, Aldwark Manor Golf Hotels - Aldwark Manor - QHotels

Best value for money golf course I've ever been to. Only knw about it last year and played it 3 times although it a bit of a drive to get to, well worth it.

I keep my club under the bed,along with my axe and pistol,my rifle(lasers and tactical night sight) is in a box on the landing,If they are lucky the dog will get them,'cause god help em if I do.And that's about all I want to say on the subject of clubs.lol

Well.... I am a very occasional amateur!

The misses often works at the weekend so disappearing for 4-5 hours isn't an option so its the odd 9 holes for me.

Only been out once so far this year (and only twice last year) and managed a respectable 55 over 9 holes (for me) on a long course, which I was happy about with my 25 year old clubs!

Its more a social event that a grand sporting event!

Im a 36 handicapper (never been tested lol)
Use my moms clubs.
Golf course my parents use is cotswold edge golf club.
i wont allow myself to tee/drive the ball as there is a road near it.

Have a natural fluke for chipping and putting but look like happy gilmore hahah

Handicap 24
Ping G20 Irons, a Callaway FT-9 Driver and an Odysee White Hot putter
Paul - recommend Oulton Hall over Aldwark Manor (and you're closer to Oulton). Aldwark is a nightmare as soon as the heavens open - with it being by the river I've found it becomes saturated very quickly. We sometimes get 18 holes for under £15 at work and the course quality is superb - Part of the DeVere Hotel group. Also check out Spofforth near Harrogate for a quick cheap pay and play.
Hints and tips - coming from a 24 handicapper, I wouldn't expect anybody to heed this advice, but don't try to hit the skin off the ball. Nice, easy, consistent (golf) swings seem to work for me!

Well.... I am a very occasional amateur!

Only been out once so far this year (and only twice last year) and managed a respectable 55 over 9 holes (for me) on a long course, which I was happy about with my 25 year old clubs!

Its more a social event that a grand sporting event!

55 over 9 hole on a long course is good for someone that only plays a few times a year, good one Murdoch

Im a 36 handicapper (never been tested lol)
Use my moms clubs.
Golf course my parents use is cotswold edge golf club.
i wont allow myself to tee/drive the ball as there is a road near it.

Have a natural fluke for chipping and putting but look like happy gilmore hahah

Handicap of 36???? Max you can have is 28, oh well at least you have a good chance at Stableford scoring, 2 extra shots on each hole. I was a 22 but I won a friendly social competition last year and got knocked down to 20 by the chairman, thinks I was "sharking" them seen it was my first ever comp. Still play at around the 22 level.

Handicap of 36???? Max you can have is 28, oh well at least you have a good chance at Stableford scoring, 2 extra shots on each hole. I was a 22 but I won a friendly social competition last year and got knocked down to 20 by the chairman, thinks I was "sharking" them seen it was my first ever comp. Still play at around the 22 level.

Not off the ladies tees....

Handicap 24 Same(ish) as me
Ping G20 Irons, Show off.......a Callaway FT-9 Driver Had one and it did not improve my game at all.................and an Odysee White Hot putter Had mine since the first year they came out in the UK and I will never part with it. Cost too bloody much lol

Paul - recommend Oulton Hall over Aldwark Manor (and you're closer to Oulton). Played it back end of last year for the first time since it was taken away from LCC. Over priced for what it is imho, there is better out there.

Aldwark is a nightmare as soon as the heavens open - with it being by the river I've found it becomes saturated very quickly. Played it 3 times last year, always in the summer due to your reason. Very well kept course, friendly staff behind the counter and the green keepers are great! We just finished the 18th and wanted another crack at it so to say (for a bet in between ourselves) but the green keepers are sat in their buggy on the 3rd tee next door. I was checky and asked if me and my mate could have another go at the 18th? "You can do what you like, you can play the course again if you want to, if the clubhouse isn't told by us what is going on, they cant charge you!!!" We had another 6 holes and went for a pint in the posh bar lol. Great day every time, pitty about golf playing.

We sometimes get 18 holes for under £15 at work and the course quality is superb - Part of the DeVere Hotel group. That is what is worht lol. Also check out Spofforth near Harrogate for a quick cheap pay and play Thought Spofforth is a members invite only course? Correct me if things have changed, I would love to have a go there, really good reputation etc.
Hints and tips - coming from a 24 handicapper, I wouldn't expect anybody to heed this advice, but don't try to hit the skin off the ball. Nice, easy, consistent (golf) swings seem to work for me!
Agree, If your not a big hitter dont bother, your only going to slice it and loose shots. Hit it straight and trust your short game.

Guess I'm not talking to Mr. "J" from Test-Meter then lol. Might sound daft but have you tried The Village at Wike (next door to Wike Ridge/ aka Leeds golf club (another great course I play at a few times a year). The Village is harder than it looks but on a good day you can post a good score. -1 over 9 holes without handicap/off scratch!!!! Best game of golf ever and probably never to be repeated. My golf buddy said "After a game like that you might get killed!! Just like in the film Caddy Shack."

Not off the ladies tees....

Its 36 for laddies! Wow, thats cheating (and sexist).

I needed a 36 start yesterday at Brandon with that 30-40mph wind. (rubbish course, dont think about going there) How can a tee shot with a 4 iron only go 110 yards??? Balls moving on the green??? Missed out the last 4 holes and went home, not the best of days out.

Here's another good little trying course, Fulneck at Pudsey. 9 holes in woodlands and it will make a fool out of any pro golfer if he/she drops their concentration. Anyone that Pars the 9th/18th in front of me, I will buy them drinks for the rest of the day! And thats coming from a tight fisted Yorkshireman lol.

Are you up for a game Mr Test-Meter? Choose a course for next month and we will have a crack at it. :smile:

Golfer here. Used to play off 9 but these days more around 15... I make myself sound old but I'm only 27! Haha.

I play Mizuno MP-29 blades, Ping drive (which I hate) and a Titleist fairway 3 wood.

If anyone fancies a game down south, then let me know, always looking for a playing partner. I am a member at Sweetwoods Park by the way..

I enjoy a good round of golf. I haven't been out for a game since last year, must be getting close to 6months now.
My setup is: Taylormade Burner 9.5deg driver, Nike square dymo 5 wood (19deg), Benross V5 escape rescue wood (23deg), macgregor M565 irons (5 thru Gap wedge), cleveland 56deg sandwedge, and a Taylormade rossa putter.
I currently have callaway hex chrome balls but usually go for srixion soft feel.

Usually play off around a 26 handicap just because hardly get out for last few years.

When I do go out its usually local courses near me, Hart common and haigh hall, and castle hawk near my workplace.
I do usually get a few golf days in tho through year. Get between 30 & 40 friends together for round and meal after with prizes. Good for a laugh back up home. Play wynyard Park, ramside hall, south moor golf club, slaley hall, and linden hall.
Out of them all I prefer linden hall. Its tight and a challenging course.

Last round of golf was for a stag do and we went to portal golf and country club in tarpoley. That was a really nice course. Well set out and nice views too.

I'm really liking these replies, Sounds like we have got a little forum community starting???

@Geordielad.... Your just showing off with your golf bag set lol. I'm still playing with a Taylor made R7 Quad driver with the adjustable weights, not bad but I need to move on from the old technology :rofl:

They were all bargains though. :)
Always seemed to be in the right shop at the right time. £140 for the irons that had been used once then brand new grips put on then used a couple more times before being traded for different set. They were worth over £400 at the time I got them. My 5 wood was in a closing down sale for £15. Too good to not buy.
It took me about a year of hard work to learn to use it and now I find I prefer to tee off with it than my driver.

I play the odd 9/18 holes at Cumberwell Park. Generally awful if im not using a pitcher or 3 iron.

Did start playing well with a 3 wood and utility back in Jan.

Agree, If your not a big hitter dont bother, your only going to slice it and loose shots. Hit it straight and trust your short game.

Guess I'm not talking to Mr. "J" from Test-Meter then lol. Might sound daft but have you tried The Village at Wike (next door to Wike Ridge/ aka Leeds golf club (another great course I play at a few times a year). The Village is harder than it looks but on a good day you can post a good score. -1 over 9 holes without handicap/off scratch!!!! Best game of golf ever and probably never to be repeated. My golf buddy said "After a game like that you might get killed!! Just like in the film Caddy Shack."

Village course at Wike is surprisingly nice, although a little short. Spofforth is definitely pay and play. Has been for as long as I remember

Reply to Any Golfers Out There? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net