Discuss any ideas..lighting circuit keeps tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mdgibbs32

Hi Guys

I hate being beaten but this has got me scratching my head.
Got a lighting circuit thats tripping the mcb (6A 1.5mm t&e), RCD doesnt trip so has to be overload ("has to be" is taken with pinch of salt please!)

All bulbs out - trips
SELV disconencted - trips
all switches unwired - trips
IR test r1+rn >200 ohms r1+r2 >2ohms r2+rn >200 ohms
continuity test - fine

getting a bit annoyed at this one...anyone any bright ideas ?...(get it..Bright..lighting circuit)
It has to be a wiring fault but im at a loss now

find the approx. mid point. dis the ougoing leg. see if it trips. then depending on whether or not, go back towards CU if still tripping, or away from CU if the first bit of the leg is OK. and i don't understand what you have posted re IR tests. they should be L-N, L-E, N-E.and result should be in Mohms , not ohms.

could be a faulty breaker, then. try replacing it before more head scratching, or temporarily shift the circuit to the other lighting circuit.(don't forget to move the neutral if they're on different RCDs though)

thanks telectrix
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ...in desperation rigged up a single 40W light on a totally NEW short radial with one switch, wired to existing MCB – IT TRIPPED !! new MCB and all is fine..
MCB is faulty !!....now I’m annoyed at myself for not trying that 1[SUP]st[/SUP]
Oh well lesson learned

thanks guys...most of a day spent on site for an MCB !!
oh well sometimes you win sometime you loose !!
Own fault should have considered it earlier

Reply to any ideas..lighting circuit keeps tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have an issue with a home lighting circuit 6A RCBO provides power to 13 bulbs which randomly keeps tripping, when I say randomly it keeps...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I'm having trouble diagnosing a fault on a customers downstairs socket ring, which only ever trips when the washing machine is used. The...
Replies
Views
Hi all I am in an industrial unit and the 100mA RCCB keeps tripping. They use it as the main switch inside of the unit's distribution board. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock